General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

67 Front Suspension Rubber Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Hannibal

Default 67 Front Suspension Rubber Rebuild

Thanks to anyone in advance for any help! I'm new to this forum, but glad to have found it.

My question is regarding a front suspension rebuild I have planned. My wife has a completely stock 67 289 convertible AT/PS/2V. I've just completed a "stock" rebuild of the rear suspension with all rubber bushings, original type hardware, leaves, shackles, shocks, EtC. I'm intending on doing the same up front. My questions are: 1. What is a good source for a rebuild kit with rubber components as opposed to midolyn/poly which seems to be all I can find. I can find some rubber sold individually but not everything I think I need. 2. Is there anying that you all think is just stupid to redo to original type standards...this car is a daily driver that we love, but no show car and it likely never will be. Example: should I put roller spring perches in (I'm inclined to)? Should I do a bump steer mod, if there is a simple one, and if so, which one (I'm really not sure what to do with this one). Is there some specific place where rubber is just stupid to begin with...please don't tell me everywhere. I'm no mechanic, so simple and near stock is what I'm looking for. 3. Should I change out my stock front sway bar or just the bushings and/or hardware. My goal is to maintain a smooth cofortable cruiser ride, but I would love to decrease roll in turns if I can have it both ways. I'll keep the roll if it means any sacrifice of ride comfort. (yeah, we're softies). 4. I'd like to replace anything that normally makes sense replacing...i.e. I'm not just doing a bushings and bolts job. That said, I remember reading somewhere that some original parts are better than any repros, so I'm looking for a specific list of those items I should keep. I'm willing to take time and remove/media blast, and recoat anything that is deemed to be better than repro (control arms?). 5. I'd love as many well-meaning suggestions here as you all are willing to give. Please feel free to suggest outside the box. Thanks again!!!