General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

no power to my radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 12:05 AM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

Default no power to my radio

ok well i install an aftermarket radio...then something happened to it and it didn't work anymore...now i wired it up myself and **** but i know all the wires are correct and even if they weren't there are fuses in the lines to make sure i can do anything to the radio and none of the fuses is broken...now i don't get it....i thought maybe it was a fuse in the fuse box so i went through and fixed all of them and yet nothing still...i don't get it...did i do something wrong...what else could it be
Old 06-03-2005, 12:07 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Default RE: no power to my radio

eerrr, i'll ask my buddy tomorrow, he's a stereo expert
Old 06-03-2005, 12:54 AM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

yea thanks...i mean i don't think i blew another fuse because last time i did the lights in the sunvisors went out...and they are working right now
Old 06-03-2005, 10:11 AM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

How does the radio smell?Burnt smell mabye.You have the yellow wire and the red hooked up to power and the balck to groung right?What kind of radio do you have.I do a ton of competion stereos,give me some more info and I'm sure I can help ya
Old 06-03-2005, 12:15 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

This could be too NUMEROUS of things to trouble shoot with this info. Bad ground, bad connection, bad radio...etc. You said it worked for awhile correct?? If you're positive all fuses are good, then that leaves a bad connection, bad ground or the radio itself.

Take the radio out, and wire it directly to your battery under the hood (with some temporary leads of course ) to make sure the radio is still good.

Do you have a volt meter?? Set it to 12-20Vdc range, and apply the red lead to your power wire, and the black to your ground wire and make sure you are reading 12-14vdc (with the key on if you wired to ACC Power). If you have voltage there then its either in your connectivity or the radio. If no power there, then back track all your connections and fuses.

Most aftermarket radios are the same - you should have a Yellow or Red lead for 12vdc switched power (main power) and an orange lead for memory power that gets 12vdc directly from the battery (non-switched) and a blue lead. The blue lead is not important for the radio to work - it drives either a power antenna or other devices with remote turn on (amps, crossovers, etc.)

Good luck - troubleshooting sucks [:@]

Old 06-03-2005, 06:01 PM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

OK well here is the background...i wired the harness from the radio to the wires to the car wires...i mean they were all fine and everything and the wires worked great...then i hit the radio with my knee and it broke it...i thought maybe it was a wiring problem just to be sure so i rewired the power and everything and still got nothing and then something sparked and i burnt a fuse....so i sent the radio back because i figured i screwed something up.....so went through all the fuses and checked to see if they were burnt and i found a few....i replaced them...i want to get a fuse chart or whatever to see if there are suppose to be there....but anyways...now it won't work...i will try just hooking the radio up to the battery....also i will use the volt meter...so i will check back probably tomorrow after work when i hook everything up and test it...also..when i hook the radio up to the battery how do i do this...just connect the battery positive to the battery and the negetive to a ground....
Old 06-03-2005, 06:40 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Just make two short leads and attach them to the battery - one red and one black, but DON'T LET THEM SHORT OUT against each other! Apply the red wire to the power input of the radio, and the black to the ground wire of the radio. This is by no means the safest way to test it, but it works if you are careful. A smarter method would be to buy a nice 120 VAC to 12 VDC power pack from Radio Shack.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:53 PM
tomabram
3rd Gear Member

sounds like its broke.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:32 PM
babygurl2000
I ♥ Acer

sounds like its broke.
you know i have to agree..
Old 06-03-2005, 08:09 PM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

it can't be broke....its brand new...i just got it back from them..

but ok i'm not really understanding how to test the radio...i make some wires that go from the battery right...one from the positive and one from the ground...now i put this to the ground and one to the power...now when you say don't let them short out...what do you mean

Quick Reply: no power to my radio