General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Having car problems, possibly frozen brake line

Old 12-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Dave-

Default Having car problems, possibly frozen brake line

So I'll throw this out right away, I'm pretty darn illiterate when it comes to self car repair/maintenance. I live in North Dakota and we are currently having one of the worst winters in history here.

So I drove my car about 4 hours back and forth out of town last Sunday and had no problems at all, however when I wake up Monday morning to go to work my car starts up fine and I let it warm up for quite a while and when I go to put it into drive it just spins in place like the brakes are on at the same time.

Problem is that I'm a complete moron when it comes to cars, I had one of my neighbors yelling towards me that it was a frozen brake line (and instead of helping out just went back in :/ )

So my question is that is there an EASY dumby proof way to know if this is the problem? It has warmed up a little bit today but has still been pretty cold. I really don't want to pay for a tow and diagnostic if it's something that will clear itself on it's own.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Car is a 2002 Mustang GT Automatic.

Thank you for the hopeful help ^^
Old 12-25-2008, 03:22 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

I'm not sure what the problem is with your car.
But I live in MN and I must say its DANG cold here (-35 degrees with windchill, maybe more). So anything frozen wouldn't surprise me.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:35 PM
AirBrontosaurus
2nd Gear Member

Do you mean the engine spins or the tires spin?

In the case of the engine spinning but not the tires, you can test to seei f the brakes are engaged. To test, just give it more and more gas until it moves. If the brakes are locked, EVENTUALLY the engine will overcome that, and the tires will begin to move. However, it may overcome it very quickly, and all of a sudden you'll be flooring it, so give yourself some room .
Old 12-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Probably a pile up snow all bunched up in the front rims.

Warm brakes from your last drive melted it. Now calipers are bonded to your rims.

Heat gun, hair dryer if it's really bad. If it's not too bad just shovel out a few feet of snow in front of the front tires. Clean it until you are down to pavement. Drive the car onto the clean spot and see it that breaks them free.