General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Keeping the Vroooom Vrooom in our vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 07:26 AM
odypilots
1st Gear Member

Default Keeping the Vroooom Vrooom in our vehicles

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-...tion-hot-rods/

And, fingers crossed, I think I got this in the right forum!
Old 02-27-2022, 09:30 AM
_CJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by odypilots
https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-...tion-hot-rods/

And, fingers crossed, I think I got this in the right forum!

Based on what I've read, Hydrogen just isn't ever going to work. Even if they could figure out the technology, nobody is going to invest in the infrastructure needed to support it in the current EV crazed world we live in.

Old 02-27-2022, 01:44 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by _CJ
Based on what I've read, Hydrogen just isn't ever going to work. Even if they could figure out the technology, nobody is going to invest in the infrastructure needed to support it in the current EV crazed world we live in.

When the govt demands that only non-polluting fuels be used to power highway vehicles, we will have NO CHOICE other than to accept it, or ride bicycles.
Old 02-27-2022, 02:07 PM
_CJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by imp
When the govt demands that only non-polluting fuels be used to power highway vehicles, we will have NO CHOICE other than to accept it, or ride bicycles.
There are other fuels that are more viable than hydrogen, like nat gas, ethanol, etc. but in reality, there's no way they're going to ban gasoline burning vehicles, or build out the infrastructure to support those alternate fuels in our lifetimes.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:41 AM
odypilots
1st Gear Member

The impression I got from the article was that it would be a specialty fuel, used for racing and track use. Yeah, It doesn't appear to be viable for an over the road replacement. I'm not sure that the other replacement fuels would burn as cleanly as they claim hydrogen can.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:06 AM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

Cool idea, it would be nice to see more than one option for clean fuels. The world is got such a hard on for electric right now though (even though the infrastructure isn't in place, nor is the ability to create enough electricity to charge all these damn cars) I'd love to see hydrogen as an alternative. I think there are a few hydrogen filling stations around now isn't there?
Old 02-28-2022, 10:30 AM
_CJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by drhoward
Cool idea, it would be nice to see more than one option for clean fuels. The world is got such a hard on for electric right now though (even though the infrastructure isn't in place, nor is the ability to create enough electricity to charge all these damn cars) I'd love to see hydrogen as an alternative. I think there are a few hydrogen filling stations around now isn't there?
There's a few in CA, mostly for government owned vehicles I think. It's a volatile fuel, the fueling process isn't as simple as traditional fuels, and the amount needed requires huge tanks in the vehicle, so limited range is an issue.

Old 02-28-2022, 12:18 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

I've never really looked into them that closely, what kind of range do they get?