General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

did i hurt my car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 12:53 AM
aftershock00
1st Gear Member

Default did i hurt my car?

Alright, im kinda an intermediate when it comes to mechanics, plus dirtbikes are more of my thing but i have two questions i hope you guys wouldnt mind answering....

1. When i was having hesitation issues and my friend took a plug out real quick (in a parking lot) to see what was going on in there. He didnt blow out the area by the coil and he didnt blow out the hole for the sparkplug before removing the plug. I didnt take much thought to this but when i went to gap one of my plugs, i noticed that there were some grains of dirt and sand in the small ledge which the plug is in the middle of. (know where im talking about??? its a larger circumference so that the socket can get down there) Anyways, i was thinking what if some sand fell from that inside ledge into teh cylinder when my friend pulled the plug out. Is that really bad? I know from dirtbikes that sand is pretty much the worst enemy so just the thought of this has me paranoid. (im **** about my stuff as it is) I put the plug back in as careful as i could and then blew the inside area out wiht air and all the crap came shooting out. So whats teh deal? basically, how bad is this?

2. I was racing an srt-4 and yes i know how to drive stick well. However, im not completely used to the short throw shifter i have (hurst) Well from first gear we were about even, but it was time to shift to second. I was so anxious to get into second as fast as possible so i could get accelerating again (didnt wanna lose to a neon!) that i kinda got ahead of myself and dropped the clutch before i was into second resulting in the gear grinding like a biotch. Again, i ask.... how bad is this? This is the first time ive ever grinded a gear and hopefully itlll be the last, but im worried now. A couple of people told me the damage is insignificant until you start doing it a lot and thats where the damage occurs. I wanted to hear what u guys had to say about it. thanks for all the help.

Sorry if i sound over cautious but my stang is my baby and well....you know.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:06 AM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

Default RE: did i F(%! my car over?

you should be fine. i know what you're talking about when you get dirt into small motors and stuff. it's like dropping gravel in v-8's. anyways you don't wanna go dumping sand into your motor but a few grains won't hurt. your oil filter should catch them.

a one time transmission grind won't hurt it either. just don't make a habit of it.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:52 PM
josh4rim
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aftershock00

Alright, im kinda an intermediate when it comes to mechanics, plus dirtbikes are more of my thing but i have two questions i hope you guys wouldnt mind answering....

1. When i was having hesitation issues and my friend took a plug out real quick (in a parking lot) to see what was going on in there. He didnt blow out the area by the coil and he didnt blow out the hole for the sparkplug before removing the plug. I didnt take much thought to this but when i went to gap one of my plugs, i noticed that there were some grains of dirt and sand in the small ledge which the plug is in the middle of. (know where im talking about??? its a larger circumference so that the socket can get down there) Anyways, i was thinking what if some sand fell from that inside ledge into teh cylinder when my friend pulled the plug out. Is that really bad? I know from dirtbikes that sand is pretty much the worst enemy so just the thought of this has me paranoid. (im **** about my stuff as it is) I put the plug back in as careful as i could and then blew the inside area out wiht air and all the crap came shooting out. So whats teh deal? basically, how bad is this?

2. I was racing an srt-4 and yes i know how to drive stick well. However, im not completely used to the short throw shifter i have (hurst) Well from first gear we were about even, but it was time to shift to second. I was so anxious to get into second as fast as possible so i could get accelerating again (didnt wanna lose to a neon!) that i kinda got ahead of myself and dropped the clutch before i was into second resulting in the gear grinding like a biotch. Again, i ask.... how bad is this? This is the first time ive ever grinded a gear and hopefully itlll be the last, but im worried now. A couple of people told me the damage is insignificant until you start doing it a lot and thats where the damage occurs. I wanted to hear what u guys had to say about it. thanks for all the help.

Don't worrk about it, If you keep grinding gears you might end up F#$%in up your clutch. But a little dirt should hurt in the head.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:57 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

the engine should be OK, but I would be real careful about that in the future. There's not much you can do about it now anyway.

grinding gears happens to the best of us LOL, I would be careful, but that will be OK too.

jush4rim - how would bouncing off a gear hurt the clutch?!?!
Old 06-07-2005, 02:58 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

LET'S CHANGE THE TITLE OF THIS ENTRY
THANKS
Old 06-07-2005, 03:01 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Both of these problems are not problems!Dont sweat Either.I wish those were the only two problems I had!
Old 06-07-2005, 03:04 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: vfast

LET'S CHANGE THE TITLE OF THIS ENTRY
THANKS
already got it bro
Old 06-08-2005, 09:22 AM
aftershock00
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: josh4rim

ORIGINAL: aftershock00

Don't worrk about it, If you keep grinding gears you might end up F#$%in up your clutch. But a little dirt should hurt in the head.
Did you mean to say " a little dirt shouldnt hurt in the head"?

and fordguy, you said the oil filter should catch the dirt. How would that be considering the dirt is already in the cylinder? it is already past the filtering part of the cycle. or am i missing something?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:32 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

What ever is in there is no big deal.....be careful about it in the future, but there's nothing you can do about a little crud in one cylinder AFTER you have started the engine.

No - there is no filter that will catch it...it's probably long gone out your exhaust valve by now.....or permanantly etched into the side of the combustion chamber