General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bad MPG myths and truths

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:36 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Hear is somthing I always wondered about http://www.fitchfuelcatalyst.com/ they say it enhances gas quality fuel for better mpg and power blah blah blah. What do you guys think.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Fresh tune-up can also make a big difference with the MPG....+ this time of the year, more air = more fuel!
Old 02-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Originally Posted by NYstang
yes, 65-75 is a big mpg difference. My families 2003 pilot went form 18mpg to 22mpg when we dropped to 65 for a trip.

Trip with the mustang, did 75 down to PA- 370 miles. got 26mpg. same trip back, 67mph. 30mpg. late fall, so no ac or anything.

once you go over 65ish, you hit a wall and it gets exponentially harder to push faster through it.
When's the last time YOU went 67 mph?!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:28 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Im actually happy with my mileage right now, but it was just services and had new oil filter, air filter, and everything was clean, I drive just to and from school and to and from work and I got 22mpg for the 3/4 tank i used. It is a V6 5 speed, so Meh, seems ok.

One question though, I just got new tires, could that help mileage?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:43 PM
03svtcobra12
3rd Gear Member

im not getting great mpgs, definitely could be better, running rich as ****, need a tune + CAI bad..
Old 02-05-2009, 11:24 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Originally Posted by timspony
When's the last time YOU went 67 mph?!
what does THAT mean?

I can be a civilized driver when Im in the mood

anyway, when it comes to long trips, I wont risk a ticket over that 15 minutes.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:27 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

The speed thing depends on the car/truck. Every car will have a speed where it gets it's best mileage but after that it will fall and it will fall exponentially. Especially if you have a vehicle that is not shaped well for cutting air. For example a truck will have a bigger lose in mpg at high speed than a pointy car like a Corvette.

The stereo thing. Sure the numbers will be small. Most likely decimal places small in term of MPG. In the real world. Enjoy your tunes, there is 100 other ways to increase your mpg without driving in silence.
As for the "baddest stereo" not making a difference. I used to have a banging system in a Dodge Shadow. Those cars had big sensitive tachometers. The car could sit there idling rock steady at 900rpm. Then throw it some bass notes and it would fall 100-200rpm, computer would compensate, raise it, alt would lower it, comp raise it. Turn the volume back down and it's back to a steady 900rpm. The AC, headlights or rear defrost which are heavy loads could not jump the idle like that. Pretty sure that's a decent alt load. So I conclude yes. Pumping subs will definately lower mpg.

Things to avoid. Don't idle the car. That is 0 MPG and that takes a toll on your average. You will have to drive many miles like a grandma to get some of that back.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:30 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Here's the question; how long is idling actually idling?? I very often wait for people when picking them up...usually I shut the car off but I have a sneAking suspicion that I'm (sometimes) losing gas by shutting it off. How many minutes do you have to idle for it to be a loss versus if you would have shut he car off? My usual waits are about three minutes so should I shut it off/start it up or would I save by simply leaving it running?
Old 02-06-2009, 05:03 PM
thePH03NIX
1st Gear Member

i've heard that starting your car is equal to 2 minutes of idling....i have nothing to back that up, but that's what i remember seeing on the internet a while ago

cuz y'know...the internet never lies
Old 02-06-2009, 09:04 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Yea 2 minutes seems about right. Add up all the factors such as the small burst of acceleration circuit fuel added to startup and the extra "drag" of adding the starting voltage back into the batteryi

Quick Reply: Bad MPG myths and truths