General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

steel seal(blown head gasket)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 01:53 AM
TC3K101
2nd Gear Member

Default steel seal(blown head gasket)

has anyone actually used this stuff and does it work? im very skeptical about it but it does seem like it could possibly save me alot of time and money i truely dont have at this moment in time

http://www.steelseal.com/

i searched this and other mustang forums but nothing really informative
Old 02-13-2009, 03:55 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Sorry but this will not fix the problem! It might hold you over for a few days, or weeks but your going to have to replace the gasket. The longer you wait, the more coolent gets into the engine, the worse it will be.

Matthew
Old 02-13-2009, 07:57 AM
BryanFromJandM

I personally wouldn't trust any form of "mechanic in a bottle". It usually just causes more problems than it fixes. You are basically pouring a version of Bar's Stop Leak into your cooling system to try and fix a blown head gasket. I'm very skeptical when it comes to such a 'repair'. Plus, if the product truely does somehow seal your head gasket, what do you think it is going to do to your thermostat, radiator, heater core, and even your water jacket. It's a judgement call on this one, but I would lean more towards not trusting it.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:28 AM
junkrider

Lets assume your car is worth $3000. And you use the $10 fix to temporarily patch the problem. Then the headgaskets lets go when you are sitting in traffic somewhere.

When that happens, you can walk away and junk a $3000 car, therefore not repairing properly cost you $3000. But you would not want to do that.

So, option 2, you have the car towed. That might cost $200 or $300 dollars. Then, if you have the tools, you'll pay 200-300 for gasket kit to replace the top end gaskets. Or you may pay someone else to do the work for $1500-2000. If the engine overheats or the bearings take a beating, it'll cost more like 5000-6000.

However, if you take that $200-300 dollars (from possible towing) and buy a torque-wrench, a good manual, and some basic tools, you could disassemble it yourself (mark every connection and collect all bolts in separate zip-lock baggies with labels), send the heads to a machine shop to check for warp and have the seals replaced for about 300 more, then get the gasket kit and reassemble for about 300. So for less than $1000, you can have a fresh top end and some good tools that you can use again.

Sorry if this sounds lame, but everytime something breaks I analyze it like that. Which explains why I have a lot of tools.

Of course, you need a place to work on it, and the time to do it.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:35 AM
TC3K101
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matts 85 LX
Sorry but this will not fix the problem! It might hold you over for a few days, or weeks but your going to have to replace the gasket. The longer you wait, the more coolent gets into the engine, the worse it will be.

Matthew
thought so, i still dont drive my car its just sitting but i really want it running.
well i went ahead anyways and dang near have my block taken apart. going to get my cylinder heads milled, then all new gasket

Originally Posted by BryanFromJandM
I personally wouldn't trust any form of "mechanic in a bottle". It usually just causes more problems than it fixes. You are basically pouring a version of Bar's Stop Leak into your cooling system to try and fix a blown head gasket. I'm very skeptical when it comes to such a 'repair'. Plus, if the product truely does somehow seal your head gasket, what do you think it is going to do to your thermostat, radiator, heater core, and even your water jacket. It's a judgement call on this one, but I would lean more towards not trusting it.
yeah i was very skeptical about it, so i decided against it because if this truely worked it would be well known and whats not stopping it from harndening in other areas

Originally Posted by junkrider
Lets assume your car is worth $3000. And you use the $10 fix to temporarily patch the problem. Then the headgaskets lets go when you are sitting in traffic somewhere.

When that happens, you can walk away and junk a $3000 car, therefore not repairing properly cost you $3000. But you would not want to do that.

So, option 2, you have the car towed. That might cost $200 or $300 dollars. Then, if you have the tools, you'll pay 200-300 for gasket kit to replace the top end gaskets. Or you may pay someone else to do the work for $1500-2000. If the engine overheats or the bearings take a beating, it'll cost more like 5000-6000.

However, if you take that $200-300 dollars (from possible towing) and buy a torque-wrench, a good manual, and some basic tools, you could disassemble it yourself (mark every connection and collect all bolts in separate zip-lock baggies with labels), send the heads to a machine shop to check for warp and have the seals replaced for about 300 more, then get the gasket kit and reassemble for about 300. So for less than $1000, you can have a fresh top end and some good tools that you can use again.

Sorry if this sounds lame, but everytime something breaks I analyze it like that. Which explains why I have a lot of tools.

Of course, you need a place to work on it, and the time to do it.
ha pros and cons, but i already have it taken apart. i have a decent amount of tools too just the only thing was buggin me was the cost of everything, im really broke right now but id rather get it done right instead of taking shortcuts which could cost me my engine.

wish it would stop raining so i can finish taking it apart
Old 02-16-2009, 09:34 AM
BryanFromJandM

Glad to see you are fixing it the right way. I'd hate to see someone bury their pony cuz of some1's marketing ploy.

Hope Everything Goes Well!

(Those temporary garages are great for such situations!)
Old 02-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Good luck. Let us know how it comes out, or if you need some help.

Matthew
Old 02-16-2009, 10:17 AM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

In NPI land Im better off buying and swapping a full Pi engine that fixing my NPI turd's Head gasket
Old 02-17-2009, 01:58 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

If you already have it taken apart, use a straight edge to check the heads and buy a new gasket..