General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

stuck between land rover and mustang gt

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 01:17 AM
zepp21

Default stuck between land rover and mustang gt

alright here it is. I currently have a 99' discovery II. It is nice but gas is becoming a problem. by the way i am 17. Now i found this 00 mustang gt for 13,900 or best offer. The mustang already has a 2" lowering kit, 03' cobra rims, bbk tips, flowmaster exhaust, bbk cold air intake, kenwood stero, xtant amp, and subwoofer. Is this a good deal? Did the 00' have any problems with them. Since i live in Pennsylvania i will also need it to do alright in wet/snowy conditions. How does it handle, i know it won't be a 4 wheel drive vehicle but as long as it is ok with plowed roads it doesn't matter
Old 06-12-2005, 01:46 AM
86gt5.0HO
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: stuck between land rover and mustang gt

Shame on you for even thinking of driving it in the winter. Unless you have a death wish you probly want to park it for winter.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:54 AM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Old 06-12-2005, 04:56 AM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

you can drive any car in the winter. It's about using your head and driving within your skill limits. If you're that worried about it, stay with what you got, cause you aren't gonna save gas money buying a stang, that's for sure.
IMO, I'd rather have real wheel drive than front in the snow, or anytime for that matter.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:41 PM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: YinYangStang

you can drive any car in the winter. It's about using your head and driving within your skill limits. If you're that worried about it, stay with what you got, cause you aren't gonna save gas money buying a stang, that's for sure.
IMO, I'd rather have real wheel drive than front in the snow, or anytime for that matter.
Why? Rear wheel drive is SO much worse in the snow than front wheel. I can't stay straight when I drive my car in 1" of snow, its HORRIBLE.

I also live in PA, so whenever it snows I hop in my sis's 01 Grand Am GT, and that thing is great in the snow. Or I can drive my mom's 02 Land Rover Discovery. If you are really nervous about snow, keep the rover because stang's suck in the snow, and they won't get you any better gas milege.

How many miles are on that 00 GT? Geez, that has a 2" lowering kit on it...even more fun for the snow. I would suggest if you buy that stang, to also go out and buy some sort of beater for the snow.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:01 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Agreed, I grew up in Maine and know what it's like to drive in a ton of snow (they don't salt roads up there), and I will take rear wheel drive any day, it's all about how you drive and using your head. Alittle weight in the trunk and some good snow tires will do wonders. I drove my Camaro and my 95 Impala SS through snow and they were both fine, I must see 10 SUV's off the road in every storm around here, these dumb *** suburbanites think that just cause they have 4 wheel drive thay can still drive like normal in bad weather.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:16 PM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JonBeast

Why? Rear wheel drive is SO much worse in the snow than front wheel. I can't stay straight when I drive my car in 1" of snow, its HORRIBLE.

I also live in PA, so whenever it snows I hop in my sis's 01 Grand Am GT, and that thing is great in the snow. Or I can drive my mom's 02 Land Rover Discovery. If you are really nervous about snow, keep the rover because stang's suck in the snow, and they won't get you any better gas milege.

How many miles are on that 00 GT? Geez, that has a 2" lowering kit on it...even more fun for the snow. I would suggest if you buy that stang, to also go out and buy some sort of beater for the snow.
Because you have control over what the car is doing. With FWD, when you turn the tires and try to accelerate they lose thier traction and start to slip, then suddenly you're not turning. With RWD, your forward motion tires are separate from your turning tires. You have to be careful not to let the back tires slip by over accelerating, but that's called driving skill. Next winter, try this. Wait for the snow plow to go by your driveway and take your FWD and try to drive through the mound he left. Try it in forward and try it in reverse. I guarentee it's easier to get in the driveway in reverse because the push from the back doesn't hit that snow first and mess up your attempt.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:23 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I would take RWD over FWD in the snow any day either. With weight in your trunk and good tires it'll be more stable and much more easier to operate. Look at it this way, the tires that are spinning furiously are the tires directing your entire car, just not a good combination.

It takes a LOT of patience and comfort to handle a Mustang in the snow, especially since the car you're looking at is lowered. Although for $13,900, you should be able to afford a beater car for the winter. If you buy the car and want to pick up some snow tires & V6 pony wheels, let me know, I have some for relatively cheap with 90% tread left.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:03 PM
white_snake
2nd Gear Member

ya i agree with all the ppl that say RWD is better, get some good tires and some wieght. plus if you find an nice empty parking lot it is a ton of fun
get the stang!!!!!
and if you do get the stang and do drive it in the winter, and they salt the roads where you are, get a rust inhibitor, oil spray, and wash it every week, or more
Old 06-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Ezrider
2nd Gear Member

iv never owned an fwd car so i dont know how they do in the snow, when i lived in MI i drove an 86 ford f150 with 400lbs in the back, it did great in the snow, i had to drive the mustang when we had an ice storm in december (i live in bowling green ky now) it was a bit hairy in the mustang with 400lbs in the squating down the back, but then again i dident have snow tires and this was 3 inches of solid ice not snow.

Quick Reply: stuck between land rover and mustang gt