General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Want to improve cooling system but have questions...

Old 06-20-2005, 04:17 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Want to improve cooling system but have questions...

Ok, I have an 97 GT vert with an auto. Is stock a 2 or 3 core and is there a Ford performance radiator that I can get with 1 more core?? Also, who sells a really good fan that will bolt right in with no or minimal modification? Is the stock water-pump our only option, or is there a high flow made for our cars??
Old 06-20-2005, 12:01 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Want to improve cooling system but have questions...

i don't know how many cores the stock radiator has, but there are lots of options out there for aftermarket radiators. check summit.

your stock fan should be fine... are you having overheating problems? the best fans are the ford factory fans. ex: i run a fan from a taurus along with a dcc controller.

stewart makes high flow waterpumps, but some people have issues with them.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:14 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

It is not overheating, but just runs hotter than I typically like my cars to run. I like them to stay pretty consistant, even when tromping on them. My truck is extrememly consistant but the Mustang isn't there yet. I am sure a programmer may help if I change the fans operating temp. I did a flush on it and have a 180* thermostat in it. It is the original water pump, so I am not sure if it still has its peak effectiveness? I will probably look into upgrading the radiator and putting a new OEM water pump on it also. What are the best to use....Fluidyne??
Old 06-21-2005, 03:00 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

what percentage coolant/water are you running? water dissipates heat better than coolant so run like 70% water and 30% coolant.

fluidine are good rads but there is cheaper stuff out there. i know that for fox bodies the summit universal rad fits with minor modification but i'm not sure about your 97.

don't forget that you will need a built in tranny cooler, unless you have an aftermarket tranny cooler mounted somewhere.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:38 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

I was going to buy an aftermarket cooler, but if I can just invest in a nice one that has the cooler on it, that would be awsome. Do you know where I can get one with the tranny cooler already built in??
Old 06-22-2005, 01:10 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

run a seperate cooler. those built in trans coolers are cooled by the engine coolant, meaning your tranny is at least 180-200 degrees.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:54 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: fordguy17

what percentage coolant/water are you running? water dissipates heat better than coolant so run like 70% water and 30% coolant.

fluidine are good rads but there is cheaper stuff out there. i know that for fox bodies the summit universal rad fits with minor modification but i'm not sure about your 97.

don't forget that you will need a built in tranny cooler, unless you have an aftermarket tranny cooler mounted somewhere.
You may want to try some Water Wetter.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:45 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I will go ahead and just by the separate unit. I already have some water wetter in it. I threw it in when I flushed the sytem.