General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

I want to build this car.. what year model should I shoot for?

Old 05-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Stonefire
1st Gear Member

Default I want to build this car.. what year model should I shoot for?

Take a look at this:

I've done quite a bit of research (as much as I can not knowing anything about cars) trying to find the various parts and or kit to make the car. Basically it's 550 horsepower with a supercharger, custom interior, etc.

They want $45k for it plus interest. I want to get the car but I'm being given the run around as they won't give me a solid monthly price so I can budget it with my bills.

I was told the kit/parts for that car could only be found for 06-07 if I wanted it exactly like that.

I don't want to buy a used car and its very hard finding a new 06 or 07. Plenty of 08s but can I get the proper kit/mods?

Any suggestions no matter how broad would be appreciated. I wasn't exactly sure what I was asking so I posted this in the general section.. should I buy that exact car, buy a new car without the kit and build it.. downsides to an 07?

Thanks for the knowledge!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:19 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

sorry can't help on the parts, but buy a new car and build it yourself, more fun that way
Old 05-11-2009, 11:47 PM
ahddm
2nd Gear Member

That is a GT-R clone, it looks to be Ronaele Side skirts and rear bumper, For front bumper I wouldn't be surprised if its a modified Ronaele front end, the rims are from Axis. The hood is made by a few companies I can see what looks like bad prepping so my guess it is a Trufiber GT-R hood with a custom heat extractor. The doors are made by a few Lambo door companies shouldn't be hard to find. Interior I can't see but would guess Katzkin.

I can help you guesstimate brand of performance parts on it If I had a picture of engine bay.

The previous owner has done alot of work to it but I can easily see where he or the body shop got lazy.

Last edited by ahddm; 05-11-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:45 AM
Stonefire
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahddm
That is a GT-R clone, it looks to be Ronaele Side skirts and rear bumper, For front bumper I wouldn't be surprised if its a modified Ronaele front end, the rims are from Axis. The hood is made by a few companies I can see what looks like bad prepping so my guess it is a Trufiber GT-R hood with a custom heat extractor. The doors are made by a few Lambo door companies shouldn't be hard to find. Interior I can't see but would guess Katzkin.

I can help you guesstimate brand of performance parts on it If I had a picture of engine bay.

The previous owner has done alot of work to it but I can easily see where he or the body shop got lazy.
THANK YOU very much! You've given me something to work with now. You have an incredible knowledge of parts to just call them out of the air. A bit of Google confirmed you were right. I guess they custom modified the hood?

Engine:
Old 05-12-2009, 04:17 AM
ahddm
2nd Gear Member

Here's supercharger link for you
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9890

If you decide to go for 550hp kit I recommend new fuel pumps, and suspension mods.
But my personal opinion is it will be safer to go with 500hp kit since it will keep your engine away from it's limits while still giving you a kick in the pants.

For hood I would actually recommend you go with a different company with same style, TruFiber doesn't have a very good track record when it comes to quality. The only custom bit on hood is the slit near the top, a good body shop make that pretty easily.

Here are a few hoods from Cervini's which has a much better quality, and will asve you alot of money (TruFiber hoods cost as much as $1000 to prep because of flaws)

I forgot to add that the fenders can be purchased at cruzinconcepts they are called GT-SR Fenders.

Last edited by ahddm; 05-12-2009 at 04:31 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:00 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Seeing the fit of the hood to bumper cover its obvious they cut corners. I would be afraid of where else they fudged it. Especially in the mechanicals.

Doing it yourself is the fun part, you'll get bored of the way it is and spend more money to change it. Buy new or virgin used, and do it yourself.

And save a lot by not doing the Lambo doors.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Stonefire
1st Gear Member

I'm definitely leaning towards buying a new Mustang and starting from scratch, going for something very close to that car but skipping the doors.

Only question is does it matter if I get a 2008/2009? GT or not?

If there is a thread I can read I'll go there, just not sure what to look for. I noticed some kits/chargers only go up to 07 and not all parts match all years, some even only state V6 versus V8.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:49 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stonefire
I'm definitely leaning towards buying a new Mustang and starting from scratch, going for something very close to that car but skipping the doors.

Only question is does it matter if I get a 2008/2009? GT or not?

If there is a thread I can read I'll go there, just not sure what to look for. I noticed some kits/chargers only go up to 07 and not all parts match all years, some even only state V6 versus V8.
Good move on the doors.

It doesn't matter if you get a 2008/2009 GT except the 08 will be somewhat cheaper. The 2009s are somewhat different in accessories under the hood which might require an additional kit to relocate some parts with certain superchargers. Not sure what parts or which superchargers though.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:21 PM
ahddm
2nd Gear Member

The 05+ are the same the reason you are seeing different kits is because of some underhood design changes, find the cheapest Mustang GT you can since you're gonna be building up anyways. Any 08 or older model thats left over at dealer will be fine
Old 05-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Stonefire
1st Gear Member

Thank you everyone, especially ahddm. Going to the dealership on Monday to pickup an 08.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I want to build this car.. what year model should I shoot for?