General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

V6 or V8 for Daughter's First Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 04:25 AM
RedBaron233

Default RE: V6 or V8 for Daughter's First Car

There is no reason that anyone needs a fast car for their first car. A fast car is for driving fast. If you want her to have a Stang then go with the 6. the 6 has more power then a 4 banger but compared to an 8 she will get better gas mileage, better insurance, and still get the same stares whether she was driving a 6 or an 8. At least you can know that she is safer in a 6. Nothing against your daughter, but my sister was "testing" her corola when she first got her license and she has driven with me and she was a great driver, well she didnt realize that she couldnt take an exit ramp doing 90... she smashed up the corola pretty bad, totalled it. That was a 4 banger.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:10 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

If she's a safe driver, get her the GT.
Exactly. I had a 96 GT when I was 17. Had about 5K in mods in it. I had a whole lot of fun with it and got on it quite often but I never even got a speeding ticket... I just used my head. You know your daughter better than anyone. If shes mature and level headed then a GT would be fine for her.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Epon
1st Gear Member

And not only will she love it, all her friends will too. She's not gonna be racing anyone anytime soon, and if she is, they're gonna be ******** thinking they're tough in their loud ricers (inwhich she'll still own 'em).

My first car was a 6banger and I still got it. If she keeps it in good shape, she'll love it. Just search around harder or check out dealerships.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:04 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

get whichever car you think is the best value. if she's gonna drive like a nut, she's gonna do it whether it's got 4, 6 or 8 cylinders. Don't tell me you've never seen a civic with 110 hp flying down the freeway, weaving at 110, cause we all have. Also, maybe she'll respect a nice GT more than a 6-banger she doesn't like. But I'm a guy, and 8 cylinders mean more to me than they do to most women.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:14 PM
WAG03GT
3rd Gear Member

DEF get her the V-6 just to be on the safe side for right now nd then ina couple years if shes proven herself get her the GT
Old 07-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I just had my insurance quote what it would cost to put my daughter in my 00V6....$1860 for six months[sm=jawdrop.gif] My wifes new 2006 V6 escape is less than half that ($840 for six months) [&:] Yikes...looks like the chickie will be getting a V6 Escape instead of a mustang... I don't know where half you guys get your quotes from or what coverage you have but I plan on covering her butt pretty well. Inexperience = liability = more likely to get into an accident and cost daddy big $$$.

and yes I've looked around. I plan on 50K/100K accross the board with $500 deductible for her. It only takes one accident and a sue happy family to ruin you financially. I think my wife and I will dropping to 25K/50K for our stuff to offset it.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

After looking around at the quality cars at the used car lots for a 94-95 with my 17-year-old, I can just imagine this conversation taking place.

"Awww! A V6? They don't look nice at all. They have not been taken care of because of negligence by previous owners. Dents, scratches and missing pieces or torn upholstery. The majority of the V8's for sale have better interiors, are better sounding and are more fun. Isn't that why you bought a GT? Leather lasts longer, the exhaust sounds louder and blondes just look better in a GT."

OMG, she's going to use the same lines on me that I used on her father. I can hear it coming. LOL!!

How much life can there be in a stock coupe V6 after 100k miles? 120k miles sounds like a lot and wonder if they are still trust worthy. Everybody ditches domestics after reaching around 80k miles. Maybe I should be looking at Honda or Toyotas. OMG, slap me.[:'(]
Old 07-06-2005, 02:12 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

The 6's will crap out on ya fast but the 5.0's will run forever.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:38 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I like how everyone on here talks about if she is a safe driver, get her the GT....
i dont get it,, if she still only has her learners, how do you know she is a safe driver?

correct me if im wrong, but i am quite sure nobody here has seen her drive alone, without an adult, or supervisor in the vehicle keeping her under control

i dont konw, maybe she'll never experiment and mess around with her car
that would be nice for everyone if that were the case, but likely it isnt,,

If she does do something stupid, its much more likley to cause more harm to herself or others in a GT than a v6 model.

You can say what you want about insurance costs being important to you, and reliability playing a factor in the decision, as well as helping her appearing coller towards her peers, but i do not know of one good dad who will say that the safety of their family is not the NUMBER ONE priority in their OWN LIFE.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:01 AM
Syndicate
2nd Gear Member

I agree with most of everyone on here. A 5.0 was my first car and I was asking for tickets. Luckily it was an old Thunderbird, other wise a Mustang GT would be financial suicide on insurance. Considering most kids like mustangs anyways, a V6 or V8 would impress friends. The money you save on insurance can go towards upgrading the car later when she has even more experience. Just like when i wanted to choose my first street bike. I would be better off with the 600 cc than the 1000cc.

Quick Reply: V6 or V8 for Daughter's First Car