General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A handful of newbie tech questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:22 AM
ApeXX

Red face A handful of newbie tech questions...

I thought it would probably be better if I asked all my nagging questions in one thread instead of creating multiple. Hopefully this doesn't violate any sacred rules or anything...

First off, is it me or is the throw to third gear really close to that of first gear? Granted I'm 18 and only been driving a stick for a few months, but as soon as I bought my Mustang I noticed how easy it is to hit third instead of first. Multiple times I've stalled (now I can catch myself) trying to launch from first but really being in third.

Second, what is the best way to prevent or compensate for oversteer? I've never driven a RWD car before and I noticed immediately the Mustang's tendency for back-end drift. Now I obviously see the fun in this however yesterday while driving in the rain (with TC on) there were many times where the backend swung around corners fairly dangerously (note I'm in traffic). Now granted my back tires are almost bald and are getting replaced shortly, however I was wondering if anyone had some tips to avoid the oversteer at least while in traffic.

Also, since I'm thinking about putting custom seat covers over the seats (which the old older put burn holes in), how do you take out the rear bench seat and rear bench backrest? I can't find any articles on how this is done, yet it seems like it should be fairly easy?

Finally, where would you all recommend getting new tires? I'll keep the tire details (IE: what exact tire I should get) to another thread in the V6 forum however in general what website/store offers good prices? I may be looking into getting a full wheel set (the rims are brown from road grime) but the prices almost gave me a heart attack. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking, see you around!

Last edited by ApeXX; 06-16-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:53 PM
mudvayne1
3rd Gear Member

1st- The gears aren't that close you just have to get the feel for it.

2nd- Don't drive as fast in the rain. Yes its easier for the rear end to break loose but as long as you drive with some sense you won't have that problem. New tires help too.

3rd- The back seat just lifts straight up and I think you have to unbolt the back rests from the frame.

4th- I think mustang forums has a sponsor called tire rack or something like that. Check em out. Or look on ebay and craigslist.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:41 PM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

yeah, i agree with the post above. when pulling out the rear seat, there are 2 little tabs under the front of the bottom part that you need to push and they will release the seat bottom and it will pull right out. if the back rest is the same as a convertible, there are 2 brackets on the bottom corners with bolts holding them in, and then the whole seat back lifts up and out. american muscle (forum sponsor) has plenty of wheel/tire packages, and we also get a pretty good discount with them as forum members.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:36 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Do you have Bullitt rims or Stock v6 rims? If you have the stock V6 rims DO NOT BUY NEW TIRES! I sold my stock V6 rims, two had curb rub, and minor dings here and there. I got $300 for them and didn't have to worry about shipping them (sold locally). I then picked up a set of flawless 17" Bullitt Rims with Pirelli PZero tires and 4-5K miles for $400, and I paid the guy $25 to haul them to me. So in the end the new rims and tires cost me $125. Cheaper than 2 V6 rim tires alone! Just shop around and wait for something to come your way!!

*edit* I misread your car. I thought it was an S197! So I dont really know what rims your car might have.

Last edited by maxshuty; 06-16-2009 at 03:40 PM.