General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

need some help a/c blows hot air full on freon

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 05:58 PM
2001 coupe v6

Unhappy need some help a/c blows hot air full on freon

i have a 2001 mustang coupe v6 that is only blowing hot air went to mechanic to put more freon told me it was full so im stuck with this problem if anyone has any ideas that would be great it might be a fuse problem but i dont know what fuse controls the freon any tips would help alot. might not me the fuse so any info on another idea would help alot im not great with cars so dumb it down for me please
Old 06-23-2009, 07:08 PM
TorchRed '03
1st Gear Member

Your compressor is probably shot...It's kind of an expensive fix. You might be able to find one in a junk yard and then put it in. Did the shop check the compressor or just the freon?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:31 AM
no-go-slo

Can you hear the compressor clicking on when you turn on the A/C? If you do and it keeps clicking then your compressor is at least trying to work. If this is the case, it could be a damper door to your dash vents is not opening at all or not all the way causing air restrictions to not operate correctly. I am not sure if the 01stang's are vacuum or computer operated.

Also, if the compressor is indeed clicking that could be a sign of low refrigerant. I've had it where when I put my gauge on the low side to see the psi level in my 06 gt it showed normal the first time and excessively high the second. The point here is that different temps may show different readings. If this mechanic took a reading and just said the level is good, did he not look at anything else?

If you are not good with cars be safe and take it somewhere else for a second opinion. Don't try and troubleshoot it yourself as you may cause more harm than good, not to mention keeping yourself safe!

Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck!

Last edited by no-go-slo; 06-24-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old 06-24-2009, 10:24 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Did they mechanic offer any suggestions or did he just send you on your way. The best way to diagnose an a/c problem is for a mechanic to service it. It does sound like a compressor issue. Also, when he checked it, did he just hook a gauge up to it or did he evacuate what was in there and then recharge it?