MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech-6/)
-   -   Car starts to overheat while air conditioner is on. (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech/546744-car-starts-to-overheat-while-air-conditioner-is-on.html)

vvelez5 06-25-2009 10:46 PM

Car starts to overheat while air conditioner is on.

Alright here goes my car starts to overheat while the air conditioner is on. The thing is while im driving down the open road the car is fine but when it gets to stop and go traffic, that's when it starts to act up. The hoses, water pump, and fan look to be in order too. Could it be the radiator? I hope not. Any ideas?

mustangcat 06-25-2009 11:06 PM

When was the last time you replaced your coolant?
Should be done every 60,000 miles I believe.

vvelez5 06-25-2009 11:11 PM

Coolant's been replaced less than 5,000 miles ago.

mustangcat 06-25-2009 11:49 PM

How hot is it where you live? You may need a more powerful coolant pump/fan/etc.

vvelez5 06-26-2009 09:23 PM

Well i do live in Florida. Its been reaching triple digits in the direct sunlight. So its pretty hot.

ewgoetz 06-27-2009 05:54 AM

Does it have UD pullies on it? try putting on the stock ones.
make sure there isnt any garbage between the radiator and the condensor also. some times some cars get a build up of leaves and dirt inbetween them and prevent cooling for the car.

forcefeed 06-27-2009 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by vvelez5 (Post 6307263)
Alright here goes my car starts to overheat while the air conditioner is on. The thing is while im driving down the open road the car is fine but when it gets to stop and go traffic, that's when it starts to act up. The hoses, water pump, and fan look to be in order too. Could it be the radiator? I hope not. Any ideas?

unbolt your rad and pull it back so you can get a good look at it, its most likely plugged between the rad and condenser

socalwrench 06-27-2009 11:19 AM

While the coolant, water pump and radiator could be an issue, these would affect the engine temperature ALL the time. With the A/C running- MOST systems run the fan at a higher speed (or use a second fan). Being a 1991, I'm not sure if it's still a mechanical fan or not. If so, than using the A/C is only making the problem worse (with the extra heat being put onto the front of the car). I'm betting that your condenser is right in front or your radiator. This dumps all that heat being removed from the system and relies on air to dissipate it- just like the radiator does.

vvelez5 06-27-2009 09:10 PM

No UD pulleys and i i have a mechanical fan. Im going to unbolt the radiator and check out to see if there's some gunk in between the condenser when i get a chance.

swat223 07-11-2010 12:50 AM

dude please help..did u ever figure out what was the problem cause i have the same problem..i just cant find why its doing it..i have a 1991 lx also..pleaseeee send me a email at djdevo231@aol.com thanks