General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

One brake light works, the other doesn't!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 11:43 AM
sixtyninestang
1st Gear Member

Default One brake light works, the other doesn't!

Hi guys, my 1990 LX vert's brake lights are messed up. I noticed the left brake light out, however the taillight still worked. I replaced the bulb, but still have the same problem. I'm told that if the switch was the problem that the right brake light wouldn't function at all, which makes sense to me. I removed the wiring, moved the wires around, put it back in, and no dice. Any suggestions? As I mentioned before, the taillights on the same side work fine. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:16 PM
bill_w
1st Gear Member

Well could be a couple of things... socket, wiring... but without a test light you'll just be taking stabs at it. Since the tail light and stop light use different filaments, its easy for one to work and not the other.

Using a 12v test light, turn on running lights and you should get power to one of the terminals in the socket. Next Have someone step on the brakes, or turn on your turn signal and you should get power to the other terminal. If not, probe the wires going into the socket. If you get power there but not the terminals, then replace the socket. Otherwise more testing will be required...

Bill
Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 AM
sixtyninestang
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the quick response Bill. It's a little wet here in Mass, so I'm gonna have to wait a bit before I can get outside to test it. I'm not very handy with the test light. Is it acceptable to push the tip of it into the insulation when checking the wire? Finally, should the socket need to be replaced, do you know where I can get a replacement? Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:45 PM
bill_w
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sixtyninestang
Is it acceptable to push the tip of it into the insulation when checking the wire? Finally, should the socket need to be replaced, do you know where I can get a replacement? Thanks again.
That certainly is acceptable.Just be careful not to push it through to your finger! (done that more times than i can count) Some people have concerns though about having exposed wire from piercing it that could corrode over time. If that bothers you, then a little dab of silicone will seal it back up.

You should be able to get a socket from your local auto parts store.

Feel free to ask if you have more questions

Bill
Old 07-22-2009, 10:29 PM
sixtyninestang
1st Gear Member

Thanks Bill. It was nice out today, so I was going to take a look at it. I asked my friend to help me check the lights, and now they all work (figures, right?). Which do you think is more suspect in this case, the wires or the socket.

Last edited by sixtyninestang; 07-22-2009 at 10:44 PM.