General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Emission Equipment, California/Cross-Border States

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Bravo

Default Emission Equipment, California/Cross-Border States

I posted this in the wrong section initially. It might get more attention here:

So I was throwing together a 2010 Mustang GT on Kelly Blue Book and ran into this:

------------------------------
Emission Equipment, California/Cross-Border States
(Req'd in CA, CT, MA, ME, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT & WA) (Optional for Cross-Border States) (Cross-Border States are AZ, DE, ID, MD, NH, NV, OH & WV)
------------------------------

....I live in Maine (ME).

So, the question is, how much will this Emission Equipment hinder my horsepower / torque output?

If it's a big deal (By big deal, I mean 10hp or more), I'll make the 1 hour drive to NH where it is supposedly optional.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:28 PM
DarkJFMan
2nd Gear Member

It all depends on what has been actually done to the car, but let me tell you this, being originally from CA, you will lose a lot more than 10 hp if you were to buy a car in a state with emission standards especially one like CA.

For example LT headers are really tough to pass, that's HP you'll lose compared to the shorties you'll have to install. You'll need cats on your mid pipes even more hp, and no to forget it can't be "too loud" to bother people around you, they'll call the cops on you.

Because of those standards I'm sure you'll be losing more than 10 hp.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Bravo

It makes me so mad that Maine follows the standards of California. Maine doesn't actually test the emissions coming from vehicles. They just require the car to be sold with it.

I guess that means that I will be going to New Hampshire to get my car (Whenever that may be). If Maine ever did go the distance and do sniffer tests, it would probably be enough to make me move away...I'm pretty close to doing so as is.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:34 PM
geryogery
1st Gear Member

"Remember when you could park on the street for free in this country? Am I the only one who senses our freedoms are being taken away? The freedom to park. The freedom not to fasten your seat belts. To not have to worry about having a working muffler. Back then, you could tell a man was coming by the black smoke belching from his American car as he tossed beer cans and French fry packages out the window. Now, how's a man supposed to have fun? I weep for this country."

-Al Bundy, Married... with Children.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:31 PM
DarkJFMan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by geryogery
"Remember when you could park on the street for free in this country? Am I the only one who senses our freedoms are being taken away? The freedom to park. The freedom not to fasten your seat belts. To not have to worry about having a working muffler. Back then, you could tell a man was coming by the black smoke belching from his American car as he tossed beer cans and French fry packages out the window. Now, how's a man supposed to have fun? I weep for this country."

-Al Bundy, Married... with Children.
HAHAHA that's an awersome quote you got there.

Bravo - Yea it does suck that it goes down like that, CA got this "CARB" thing going and I guess these states thought it's a good idea for the environment to adapt it. I guess noone been looking at the smoke coming from the factories in LA...

Also this is the only reason I'm glad I'm in SC.