General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New guy from Cleveland. With a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Liarsenic

Default New guy from Cleveland. With a few questions.

I just bought my first Mustang a few weeks ago. Saved up and sold my 1994 Buick Skylark. I now own a 2004 Mustang v6 fully loaded vert. I went with the V6 because I wanted a nice ride, but since I commute long ways for work/school/pleasure, I need fuel economy as well. Since I've bought it, I've become obsessed with it. And speed.

So I already thought about trading it in for a GT. And then I found a V8+tranny from an '02 GT for sale @ $300. And thought about an engine swap. But I still need the economy, so the V6 stays. Tough decision. However, luckily for me, my neighbor has a 1972 Gran Turino with a 351 Cleveland in it for sale @ $1400. So that might eventually turn into something sweet.

But for now, I need to make my v6 go faster. And I've been reading the forums for a bit, and have a few questions.

So far all I've done to the car is throw in a K&N CAI.
Next up: cat back exhaust, 4.10 gears, and a tune. The 4.10 is pretty straight forward.
Whats the best cat back for sound / performance?
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...ac2f4d03c2f213
Is that any good?
As for tune, whats the best way to go? I see a lot of guys on here with Diablos. I want something with multiple settings, like for different octanes and stuff. And something I can update as I add more mods.

And after this, where should I start looking to get more power? As in, the best mod to do next. Power pack? Throttle? Spark Plugs?

Final question (I feel so needy)
Where is a good place to buy body parts/kits pre-painted to Ford factory colors? With the best quality-to-price ratio?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:25 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

You can have your cake and eat it too with a mustang GT. I know I get at least 23 MPG highway doing 65-70mph. Most other GT owners can attest to this as well. It is a power to weight thing, the 4.6 isn't working as hard as your 3.8.

Exhaust is a personal preference, everyone will tell you what sounds good the them. You can see what I like in my sig. You won't go wrong with the dronemasters.

Tuners, you want to look for one that adjusts the parameters you are interested in messing with. also, if you ever plan on having it dyno tuned, you need to see what the performance shops in your area use or else you may need to buy a different tuner.

The V6 section can really help you out on whats next after the initial installs.

Don't know of anyplace that offers pre-painted parts.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:09 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

i mean... if your going 4.10's.. your not worried about gas mileage. atleast not enough that is. just got mine in, at 75mph i'm reving at 3,000rpms. hp and good gas mileage don't walk hand in hand very often. sometimes, but not always. You'd be looking into throttle bodies, aluminum driveshafts, gears, exhaust, cai, etc. agree the v8 would be a better way to go. it will actually sound good when you put exhaust on it. and you will see much more gains from the money that you put into the mods. instead of 2hp, you'll get 8/10. little more bang for you buck, and in any means.. you'll be starting off with way more. stock gt with 4.10 gears is a pretty mean machine, add an exhaust.. hell you have a muscle car.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:19 PM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the forums bud! As you get more involved w your mustang you will also become addicted to us as well ! LOL
Old 08-04-2009, 05:29 PM
DarkJFMan
2nd Gear Member

I gotta agree with the other posters about the v8 being better. Yes you will be getting less MPG but with an exhaust, tune and other mods you'll be adding to your car you can modify the tune to help you get a better MPG, especially going with 4.10 that'll drop your MPG quite a bit since you said you'll be driving for longways. So if you're still debating between v6 or v8, go with the v8.

As far as the exhaust, lot of people have asked which exhaust is the best sounding and the best performance, from what I found out that most aftermarker exhausts give you the performance, some will give you more but you'll have to spend a bit more, but beware it will get to the point where you'll be paying for name of the product, that's where you'll be wasting money IMO. As far as sound youtube is your best option or go to a shop and listen to different sounds.

Tuners... nothing is wrong with either diablo or sct, if you decide to go with well known companies almost every forum that I check talk about bamatunes or brenspeed, in those places you'll be able to buy the tuner and you'll be able to have multiple tunes to fit your need.

As far as pre-painted kits sorry I can't help you with that. I know this is a lot of info but I hope it helps.