General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Carbon Fiber Hood on Black 03 GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 09:34 AM
eponerine

Default Carbon Fiber Hood on Black 03 GT

Hey guys... my factory hood's paint is chipping and I can't justify spending whatever money it'll cost to repaint the entire thing when I can just pickup a new CF hood for ~$700. I've found plenty of websites that sell the CF hoods, but I'm worried they won't fit, will ship warped, or the store is just not a reputable business.

Has anyone had success with any stores specifically and/or stories dealing with the hiccups that may or may not occur when installing an aftermarket hood?
Old 08-08-2009, 12:46 PM
killbillet
2nd Gear Member

there are some websites that carry factory paint colors and they even carry them in spray cans, and if done right a rattle can job can look as good as a spray gun job. Go get some high gloss paint and a fender from the junk yard and practice, if you feel comfotable enough to paint you stock one, go for it, if you mess it up or get to frustrated go for the carbon fiber one
Old 08-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

the only problem i had was a stock hood bought off ebay and through shipping 3 out four corners were smashed due to it being fiberglass they were even protected with styrofoam sent it back and got my money back
Old 08-10-2009, 12:43 AM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

Theres any way you can buy and pick it up?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:29 PM
killbillet
2nd Gear Member

ive never ordered any body panels off of ebay but i have ordered small motors(lawnmower/racing cart) and that being the biggest thing ive ordered, every one of them were damaged in shipping
Old 08-10-2009, 09:03 PM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

Ya, gotta be careful, my bro received some damaged parts back after trying to ship some......
Old 08-10-2009, 11:55 PM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

ya i have picked up a bumper once jus look around i had to drive 2.5 hours both ways tho
Old 05-20-2010, 10:58 PM
eponerine

Originally Posted by killbillet
there are some websites that carry factory paint colors and they even carry them in spray cans, and if done right a rattle can job can look as good as a spray gun job. Go get some high gloss paint and a fender from the junk yard and practice, if you feel comfotable enough to paint you stock one, go for it, if you mess it up or get to frustrated go for the carbon fiber one
Sorry for the HUGE bump; I have been MIA from these forums for awhile and just saw these responses. I know you guys probably aren't even around right now, but anyone new reading this can contribute to my new comments/questions.

Killbillet, the size of these chips we're talking about are larger than silver dollar coins. I actually tried sanding, light bondo, priming, and painting and it came out like garbage. There's multiple huge chips and I don't know if I can pull it off myself.

So I guess my new question is how much would a body shop charge for sanding the damn thing down, priming, and putting on one or two coats of black, plus clear? My idiot friends have suggested taking the hood off myself, finding a Maaco, and having them do a cheap job on it because anything will be better than what it is now, but I've only heard horror stories.

Anyone?
Old 05-22-2010, 02:05 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

How are U getting such massive chips on your hood? Are U tailgating gravel trucks on the highway or what? Whatever is causing it is gonna happen to the new/repaired hood too..

Personally I think unpainted CF body panels look like chit on most cars unless they're actual race cars.. go get some quotes from a paint shop, I'd be surprised a repaint would cost more than a whole new hood
Old 05-22-2010, 08:02 PM
eponerine

Originally Posted by GreyStang
How are U getting such massive chips on your hood? Are U tailgating gravel trucks on the highway or what? Whatever is causing it is gonna happen to the new/repaired hood too..

Personally I think unpainted CF body panels look like chit on most cars unless they're actual race cars.. go get some quotes from a paint shop, I'd be surprised a repaint would cost more than a whole new hood
Haha the car made a few trips up/down I-95 over the years. The small chips just got worse over time.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Hood on Black 03 GT