General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'02 GT Intermittent problem (Reward for help)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:34 AM
Stangs4me
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by socalwrench
Sounds like you figured it out. Without pictures, I can't tell how much coolant was seeping into the plug holes- perhaps grounding out the connection between the coil and spark plug?

Are there any black marks on the valve covers? down the tubes?
There was barely any coolant on top of the head and the engine bay didn't have the usual coolant stench so I didn't think of that. There was no marks on the valve cover only a shallow puddle on top of the plugs and the coils were soaked.

I drove the car at least 5 times until it reached operating temperature, and every time, I get less and less vibration. The last time I drove it, I'm not even sure there was any or was it bad shifting

I want to focus on the ABS sensors now but I have no clue what they even look like. I've done complete brakes before and even one caliper but I don't recall anything that would resemble a sensor.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:36 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

The ABS sensor, aka wheel speed sensor, is a simple magnetic pickup type with a separate ring. There should be one black wire located on the backside. The other part is the sensor ring that rotates with the wheel, located behind the rotor.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Stangs4me
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by socalwrench
The ABS sensor, aka wheel speed sensor, is a simple magnetic pickup type with a separate ring. There should be one black wire located on the backside. The other part is the sensor ring that rotates with the wheel, located behind the rotor.
Thanks for the explanation. Which part of this would most likely be dirty?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:54 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Ive seen both dirty, normally clean the sensor and its fine. Check that they havent become corroded or damaged though, Ive seen that a few times.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Stangs4me
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I found the OEM ones for $25 on eBay so if this doesn't turn off the ABS light, I'll order them right up!
Old 08-23-2009, 10:04 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Check the shipping prices for ebay, I know Ive run across great deals on there, but they compensated for the "loss" in shipping. By the time its all said and done it may be cheaper to get them at the parts store.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Stangs4me
1st Gear Member

No matter the shipping, it won't be more than $60 a piece like at the auto store. I checked this months ago but I didn't know if it was something I could do myself.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Stangs4me
1st Gear Member

OK. So I took out every single wheel sensor, cleaned them, tested resistance to 50 ohms as specified, put it all back together and the ABS light is still lit. Can I reset this somehow? Any way to get codes other than going to the dealer? Can anyone understand this page?

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...abs98Diag.html
Old 08-24-2009, 03:19 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

try resetting the computer by unplugging the battery, it could also be a damaged ring but you would have to tear down the brakes to inspect the rim
Old 08-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Redwings

Originally Posted by Stangs4me
OK. So I took out every single wheel sensor, cleaned them, tested resistance to 50 ohms as specified, put it all back together and the ABS light is still lit. Can I reset this somehow? Any way to get codes other than going to the dealer? Can anyone understand this page?

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...abs98Diag.html
I think most auto parts stores will read and clear the codes for free.

Quick Reply: '02 GT Intermittent problem (Reward for help)