General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Piston.... To dish or to dish not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 05:41 PM
FX4Bradly

Default Piston.... To dish or to dish not?

I have 1965 mustang, body/interior restored. With second block, 1971 Toriniro 302. I stripped it to bare. Going to rebuild it from bottom to top. About the time... I got pretty much stuff in my head what I'm gonna do with it. But what I'm trying to figure out which flat or dish top hypereutectic. It'd be 4.020" bore, I want to stick with between 9.0:1 to 9.5:1 compression ratio. For the heads, it'd be either 165cc or 185cc AirFlow Research with either 58cc or 61cc chamber, 1.6 rocker ratio. I'm talking about between 400 to 450 HP and well over 350 lbs of torque here depending which 165cc or 185cc I'm going with. Victor Jr manifold, Road Demon 650cfm. I dont mind having to use 92 octane rated pumping gas all the time.
Automatic C4. 1500 to 2500 RPM stall, havent made a final decision on what camshaft yet. I need to get that rebuilt to street/strip stage so I wouldnt worry about blowing it into piece in middle of street making rice burners cry.
Camshaft may be Comp Cam ET266, or something. I kept forgetting and I had it written down on paper somewhere. 112 seperate lope, .050" lift. Shoot, I forgot the rest of it. I'll fill out more detail after I fetch the paper that I wrote down on about camshaft. I'm also trying to figure which I should go with solid or hyd. roller for it.
Anyway, any suggestion on pistions? To dish or to dish not??

Somebody told me that one of members here would be helpful that goes by Nickmckinny or something?
Old 09-02-2009, 01:04 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Hydraulic roller, custom ground cam and whatever CR would work best with the cam(probably closer to 10:1).
Old 09-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Mark O'Neal
1st Gear Member

A 302 with a flat top (-4cc), zero deck, and a .041 gasket will net you 9.78:1 compression. With those aluminum heads you can run 87 octane with that.

Your horsepower level are a bit ambitious for the build you are describing here. A 3.400 stroke would land you directly on that 450 HP mark...if that is really your goal.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:19 PM
FX4Bradly

a bit ambitious? Check those sites out who made that possible....

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/1...orse/index.php

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...dup/index.html

http://www.airflowresearch.com/ford_dyno.php

If 400 HP isnt successed on 165cc heads, that's okay as long as it's over 350HP.
I always can swamp it to 185cc down the road if I went with 165cc first.
Yes, it's possible to get that much out of 302. Darts' CNC has high possible of matching with Airflow research to get that kind of power out of 302. It has been proven as well.
It have been a month since I've been researching on building some serious power out of 302 plus make it streetable. I'm not gonna blow 10K dollars on it like you seen those high performance and overpriced crate.
As Arron himself from Badasscars.com said, you want serious power then you gotta get quality parts, not cheap part for longetivy. So, I've been looking at good quality parts and etc. I know it will hurt my wallet little more than 5K to 7K budget. I'm doing my best to get right parts here and there at first place.
And, Mark... Thank you for your recommend, I like it. But one thing bothers me. Old pistons came out of 302 is dish. And I'm just trying to figure out if flat head wouldnt any problem with AFR heads. I'm waiting to hear from AFR tech on piston part. Compression ratio that you said, I like it alot... I really do... Look like I'd be going with that.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:25 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Don't always believe dyno numbers. Firstly they can be fudged to say what you want them to, and secondly you have no idea what type of dyno or testing procedure they used. Often they'll test the engines in ideal atmospheric conditions with no accessories, which can result in power output numbers that are 10% higher or more than they'll actually produce. That's the whole idea behind the newer "SAE Certified Horsepower" testing standard, to get rid of all the BS power ratings. I've yet to see even 1 magazine perform dyno testing at least to the SAE Cert standard, let alone actually get SAE Certified ratings on their test.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:35 PM
FX4Bradly

You do have point here... Never is wrong to aim high and get much out of it as possible.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:39 PM
FX4Bradly

you do have point here. Never is wrong to get much as possible out of it and earn brag right. LOL. Like I said I've been researching for awhile to get best out of it.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Mark O'Neal
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FX4Bradly
a bit ambitious? Check those sites out who made that possible....
I used the 450 HP mark....I'll never go for the small one.

I do several hundred 347's a year and I make pistons for a living so I've gotten pretty used to the results.

You can make HP with 302....but you do it with RPM. It's more reliable with inches.

A 347 with 185 heads, flat top pistons, and a cam around 235/245 and 580 lift is 450 to 475 HP and is a great driver.

In a stock block there is never a real reason to run anything but a cast steel crank so a kit is somewhere around $900.00.

Cheap fun.......
Old 09-02-2009, 04:00 PM
FX4Bradly

So, what stroke kit and brand do you use? From what I understand that I will have to get block honed and bored to get stroke kits fit in? What's the price like? The one you use and etc.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by Mark O'Neal
You can make HP with 302....but you do it with RPM. It's more reliable with inches.
Speaks the truth... take heed 281 fan boys

Quick Reply: Piston.... To dish or to dish not?