General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

tranny/rearend service

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 02:01 PM
orions_knight
2nd Gear Member

Default tranny/rearend service

hey all, i just wanted to know what i need to do to maintain and/or service my tranny and rearend. i just bought a '90 LX 5.0 5-spd and did a nice tune-up on it. oil, filter, fuel filter, dist. cap and rotor, plugs, and wires. so now i feel like im neglecting my tranny and rearend but i know nothing about maintaing them. haha can u guys give me some tips on checking the fluid levels, the correct lubes to use on them and other service info? thanks alot!
Old 09-04-2009, 01:03 AM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Both are pretty much just a drain and fill operation although you probably don't have a drain plug in the rear differential and will have to pull the rear cover off to drain it. It's pretty likely you have a limited slip differential so be sure to use some limited slip additive when you refill it. Just tell them what you need at the parts store. You will need just under 3.25 pints of 80-90 gear oil for the rear diff and 5.5 pints of Mercon automtic transmission fluid for the transmission. Yes, automatic transmission fluid is correct for your manual transmission. The drain and fill plugs for your transmission are on the RIGHT (passenger) side of the transmission. DO NOT TAKE OUT THE BOLT ABOVE THE WIRED SWITCH ON THE DRIVER SIDE OF THE TRANSMISSION AS THIS IS THE 5th and REVERSE SHIFT LEVER PIVOT BOLT.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:04 AM
orions_knight
2nd Gear Member

[QUOTE= DO NOT TAKE OUT THE BOLT ABOVE THE WIRED SWITCH ON THE DRIVER SIDE OF THE TRANSMISSION AS THIS IS THE 5th and REVERSE SHIFT LEVER PIVOT BOLT.[/QUOTE]

noted! thanks alot! ur advice puts my mind at ease.