General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 Mustang Cobra...a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 02:03 PM
shopkeeper

Default 94 Mustang Cobra...a few questions

New to the forum and had a few questions..

Sorry if they are questions you get a lot I'm planning on researching more when I get home tonight, but if you don't mind giving me a few freebies I'd appreciate it.

1. What is the power rating on this car? I've seen 240hp and 305hp. Both wrong? Or is one of them right?

2. What should I look for? What are common problems with this car?

3. The rear differential is leaking fluid onto the ground. Is this a common problem or would a mechanic have to open it up and see what exactly is going on? Can you give me an idea on what it's gonna cost to get this fixed?

4. Clutch job? Are these things harder to do than any other clutch for some reason or is it the same?

5. How modifable are these cars? Do they take to mods real well? What can I do to get more power out of it?

6. There's a rust spot on the undercarriage I'm worried about. I'm going to go back and get pictures that I'll post later so you guys can tell me if it's a problem or not.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my post. I'll be checking in later.

Shopkeeper
Old 09-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

1. the 305 is the hp the engine makes the 240 is wat actually is made at the wheels

2. idk

3. could jus be a bad gasket if its comin out of the back of the diff then most likely but if its leaking from the drive shaft or axles then its a bigger problem and more money , if it is the gasket that can be done in the driveway and gasket can be had at parts store

4. i dont believe they are any different then other cars

5. this has a pushrod engine and they are very modifiable and can be done cheaper then newer stangs and the usually things intake exhaust gears...the bolt ons

6. pics
Old 09-13-2009, 03:50 PM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

the 240hp is actually the crank horsepower, not rwhp. the cobra motor was nothing more than the stock 215hp 5.0L with a little better flowing set of heads and intake. just take it to a shop you trust and have them look over it for you before you buy it. i dont think its a common problem for them to leak diff fluid, because my 94 GT has 175k and doesnt leak at all. the clutch is pretty straight forward just like any other car. these cars respond very well to mods, just like any 5.0 and they are pretty easy to work on. A cam, better set of heads and intake, and exhaust will do wonders for these cars. have fun if you get it.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:22 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

The 305hp rating is what the 96-98 Cobras had with the DOHC 4.6. The 5.0 Cobras were rated 240hp crank but were actually a tad underrrated. Mine made almost 240 rwhp with just an off road h-pipe so they realistically more more like 250-260 at the crank.

Other than the top end differences they aren't that different to mod than any other 5.0. They do come with better brakes and slightly stiffer suspension from the factory and there's some minor differences in the transmission but the clutch should be pretty much the same.