General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2 questions: Convertible top and Paint job

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 01:07 AM
Lazarus

Default 2 questions: Convertible top and Paint job

I have two questions that I hope someone can help me with.

First, I have a few small holes in my vinyl convertible top. The biggest is about an inche long and maybe a quarter of an inch wide. Are there any ways to fix these without getting a new top? Any ways for me to fix it myself because I am a poor college student?

Second, I have a nasty scratch on the hood of my car that is about 16 inches long and a few millimeters wide.. It's been there since I bought it and it looks like someone tried to "key-it". I can't afford a new paint job and I've heard horror stories about the little touch-up paint you can buy at Wal-mart. Is there anything I can do cheaply to fix it or at least make it appear less noticeable?

Thanks so much!
Old 07-15-2005, 01:09 AM
Lazarus

Default RE: 2 questions: Convertible top and Paint job

Oh yeah, one more thing...

On the "washing your baby" thread, I noticed that someone suggested gojo to use on vinyl convertible tops. Is this really the best thing?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-16-2005, 03:53 AM
Lazarus

So no ideas on this subject?
Old 07-16-2005, 04:07 AM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

You can get a touch up kit from an auto store near you and it usually matches the factory paint. It would be even better if you knew the paint code. The way to fix your holes is maybe duct tape from the inside so you can't see it or maybe even a needle and thread and stitch it together. Just some ideas for you. Good luck!
Old 07-16-2005, 11:59 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

A touchup paint stick works great on scratches like that. Be sure to clean the spot well, and remove ANY wax that might be there. Then use the touchup brush to paint a line of paint over the scratch. Don't worry about making it level to the rest of the paint, you actually WANT the paint line to be higher that the surrounding paint. Now let that dry for several DAYS! Then, buff the area down with a soft cloth and some very fine rubbing compound, that will make the line of paint be level with the rest of the panel. Do a good job of it and the scratch will be completely invisible once you're done.

I don't have any tips on fixing your top rips,, I got a roll of duct tape in my trunk for just in case that happens to me someday
Old 07-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

I was in the same situation. I went to Auto Zone or other car part store and just bought some black silicone in a tube and put it over the holes. If you are careful, just cover up what is necessary and you'll be good to go. It works great! I got the idea from seeing other people's tops at car shows.

Duct tape? Probably works great, but looks like crap. I would just go the the nearest dealer and get a tube/jar of touchup paint. Costs less than $20. Forget Walmart, just go to the dealer because the paint should match better.

Denise