General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tranmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Won't shift out of Park (short?)

Old 11-18-2009, 02:53 PM
65ss

Default Won't shift out of Park (short?)

We have a 2003 Mustang V6. It won't shift out of park. I figured it was the switch so I bought one and when I got under there to change it one of the wires (green I think) was disconnected from the connector like it was burned.

So I changed the switch anyway and added a new connector to the wire. Samething happend again, did the same fix on the wire and it did it again now. I am trying to figure out where and if there is a short somewhere because it looks like the wire is burned up.

Any help would be great guys thanks
Old 11-19-2009, 02:21 AM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Yes, you have a short. You better find it too because if it is burning through the wire it isn't a fused circuit and you could possibly end up with an electrical fire. I assume you are talking about the shift interlock switch? That is tied into the brake light switch circuit. That's why you have to be stepping on the brake pedal to shift the car out of park. The wiring on that circuit comes from the ignition switch to the brake light switch and then from the brake light switch to the shift interlock switch. Your short is likely somewhere between the brake light switch and the shift interlock switch. I'd check up around the pivot point for the brake pedal since that is the likely place for the wires to get pinched.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:32 AM
65ss

I changed the brake light switch and that is where the wire is connected to. Is the shift interlock seperate from the brake switch as far as a part goes? Brake lights don't work as you would think which is why I went with the brake switch at first.

Thanks for the help
Old 11-20-2009, 12:28 AM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Have you checked the brake light fuse? The stop lamp switch receives its voltage on the LG/RD wire from fuse 33. When the pedal is depressed, voltage is sent through the switch to the fuse box, where it splits to fuse 41 for stop lamp operation, and fuse 35 for Shift Lock Actuator operation. If the fuse is blown, the brake light switch won't work and neither will the interlock. The shift interlock actuator is under the dash on top of the steering column. It operates a cable that goes down to the shifter to release the lock. The actuator and cable are replaced as a unit so the console and lower dash have to be removed to do it.

Check fuse 17, in the interior fuse box, for being good, Key On Engine Off. If not, replace and recheck operation. If OK, check fuse 35, in the interior fuse box, for power through it as the brake pedal is applied. If it has no power to it, it is likely an internal fuse box fault. If OK, gain access to the Shift Lock Actuator on top of the steering column. At the 3 wire connector, check for voltage on the WH/LB wire, Key On, Engine Off, which comes from fuse 17. If none, trace and repair the open in the wire from the fuse box. If OK, check for a good ground on the BK wire. If not, trace and repair the open ground as needed. If OK, check for voltage on the GN wire as the brake pedal is depressed. If OK, replace the faulty Shift Lock Actuator. If there is no voltage, trace and repair the open circuit from the Shift Lock Actuator to fuse 35.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:05 PM
hmustang25

Default stuck in park and brake lights wont work

Hi I have a 2001 ford mustang 3.8l v6 convertible, with the same problem and iv replaced the brake switch,checked the fuses, rewired the two wires that lead to the brake switch and i still cant get it working properly. The brake lights don't come on at all unless I turn them on,it wont shift out of park even with the brake depressed all the way down.That being said I've read on many forums about the brake interlock solenoid safety feature and I'm thinking if it could be that or possibly the bulbs ? I'm not to sure My main thing is trying to get my brake lights to work, any information will be appreciated!

p.s. im not looking to bypass it, i already know about the key turned halfway and put it in neutral, also the interlock cable removal,and im really just wanting to solve it the right way with my brake lights working right
Old 08-14-2017, 11:39 AM
Reba1jc

I have a 2001 mustang with this same problem. This started happening about 3 years ago. I replaced the switch and ended up slicing wires 4 different times because they kept burning through. Also the fuse was blown. Finally just pulled the fuse and it's worked fine ever since.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:28 PM
zolibird02

I've got a 98 mustang gt 4.6l auto 35k miles that won't come out of park. Car sits 4-5 days a week. When I go to start it I've had trouble getting out of park. After numerous attempts, it would finally come out of park and off I go. After multiple stops no problems. Seems to happen after the car sits for a few days?? Yesterday, it wouldn't shift out of park at all. Live in Vegas, dry climate, sits in the garage (no incline). The above comments, fixes, relate to other years, other engines. Do they apply to my car also? the car is all original. Based on what I read, sounds like an elect/switch issue. What would check first?