General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

06 mustang gt coupe - seatbelt won't unbuckle!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 05:31 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

Default 06 mustang gt coupe - seatbelt won't unbuckle!

yesterday someone bashed in my passenger side window to steal my radar detector. got the glass fixed today, car works fine as does the window. picked up a passenger, and then the passenger buckled her seatbelt, and now can't get out! it won't unbuckle, and we can't pull it to give her any slack! we keep pushing down the release button but it won't go down...ideas for how to unbuckle it to get her out of there?

this is completely serious...thanks in advance!
Old 12-26-2009, 07:22 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

So this person is still buckled in there? Have you tried sliding the seat back to give you more slack. Come one, this isn't rocket science. I know this is a joke post.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Detailer_Dave
1st Gear Member

I have actually had the same experience with my Ford truck. I took a very small screwdriver, and pushed it down into the buckle, on the side where the release button is, and pushed in the locking part, to release the belt. It is kind of like jimmying a door with a plastic card.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:54 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
So this person is still buckled in there? Have you tried sliding the seat back to give you more slack. Come one, this isn't rocket science. I know this is a joke post.
this isn't a joke post...we got her out eventually, but the passenger seatbelt is still stuck. now it won't even give us any slack at all...ideas for how to unbuckle the damn thing? thanks...and thank God this isn't an emergency, Ford would be getting sued for a ****load of money...just think if the car was on fire, and you can't unbuckle the seatbelt to get out...yikes.

ideas?
Old 12-27-2009, 08:21 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by imyy4u
this isn't a joke post...we got her out eventually, but the passenger seatbelt is still stuck. now it won't even give us any slack at all...ideas for how to unbuckle the damn thing? thanks...and thank God this isn't an emergency, Ford would be getting sued for a ****load of money...just think if the car was on fire, and you can't unbuckle the seatbelt to get out...yikes.

ideas?
Well, if the car was on fire, you or the rescue people would simply cut the seat belt material. That is why I always carry a small pocket knife with me everywhere I go. You NEVER know when you will need it. In this situation though, you are obviously trying to fix it without causing any damage to your car. Try slipping a slim credit card shaped device into the locking device of the seat belt and try to get it to release. You can try and whack it a few times and see if you can jar it loose. Try a little lubricant like WD40 or pouring some anti-size oil (the stuff used to loosen rusted bolts and such) in there and see if it will give way. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:42 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

well, i was able to stick a metal knife blade down and release the seatbelt. however, this was totally not cool on Ford's part - there should be an emergency release with a failsafe. had this been an emergency, the result could've been an unnecessary death. very disappointed, although the issue is now resolved.