MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech-6/)
-   -   Murcury Mountaineer (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech/581897-murcury-mountaineer.html)

themercyful 01-16-2010 10:54 AM

Murcury Mountaineer

Hey Im new to the forums but i had a question. I dont quite have a mustang yet, but i do have a 2000 Murcury Mountaineer with a 2000 Mustang 5.0 V8. Now can i put a supercharger, or any other aftermarket parts for a 2000 mustang in my Mountaineer because it is a mustang on an SUV chassis

Z28KLR 01-16-2010 02:26 PM

Wrong engine. Ford stopped production of the 5.0/302 in 1995 I believe. Everything after that was 4.6 (what you have) and 5.4 modular engines. That aside, the engine in your Mountaineer vs. that which would be in a Mustang are only identical/interchangeable in terms of the short block. Pretty sure your Mountaineer has an entirely different top end (heads, cams, intake), designed more for truck use (like towing) than a Mustang's, which is designed to rev a little higher and faster. That said, if you were to put a supercharger on your truck, you would need to order a kit specifically designed for your truck. The supercharger head unit itself may be the same or nearly identical to one for a Mustang, but mounting brackets, tubing, and basically all of the small hardware associated with installing it would be slightly, if not greatly different. It can be done, but you need to be sure to order parts that are specific to your vehicle.

MU71L4710N 01-16-2010 02:55 PM

looking at edmunds the mountaineer had 2 motors. a 4.0 v6 and a 5.0 v8 so he was correct on that. the motor is not going to be ford made though. lincoln and ford both use the same motor but mercury uses someone else i believe (as z28 said, ford stopped using the 5.0 back in 95 but they are comming out with a new one for 2011). 4.6l mustang parts are NOT going to fit a 5.0 mercury.

if your wanting to supercharge your mercury, buy parts made FOR your car. if you were wanting to buy the blower now to supercharge that car, then get a mustang down the road and transfer the blower over, its not worth the hassle to do that even IF the supercharger would have worked on both cars. you will be spending atleast a grand (excluding the price of the supercharger kit) to supercharge the mercury (to include dyno tuning, fuel system upgrades which likely will not work with the stang, a handheld tuner that wont work with the stang, etc...). then have to spend another 1000$ on parts made FOR the mustang to make the blower work on that.

if you want a mustang save your money and get one. dont start buying parts for a car you dont have yet.

themercyful 01-20-2010 01:22 PM

Thanks for all the help everybody

DrewZFoster 01-22-2010 06:19 PM

Ford made the v8 in that mountaineer! it is a 5.0 with gt40 heads...my Mom has a 00 Mercury Mountaineer......Think about it,..why would Ford contract out production to a third party for a v8 when they make v8's?? BTW it is a OBDII engine where as all the pre 1995 5.0 are OBDI.