General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Oil coming out of bellhousing vent

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 06:30 PM
TheMustangLoveR
2nd Gear Member

Default Oil coming out of bellhousing vent

Just did the Tr3650 to T56 swap and filled up the transmission (from the shifter area inside the car). After a while of filling, oil starting coming out of the bellhousing vent on the bottom of the bellhousing. I looked inside the clutch inspection cover and couldn't see oil coming out anywhere between the midplate and transmission case itself, but did feel oil down below with my finger, near the vent (obviously).

Is there an overfill hole in the midplate that lets oil seep out if it becomes overfull? I do have the fill plug out during this whole process.

Or is there something wrong with the transmission? Didn't see any oil anywhere near the input shaft where it comes out of the transmission, by the way.

Anyone?
Old 01-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

This is why I'm against filling the transmission through the shifter hole. There is a slight chance you can overfill it.

If you fill it from the FILL plug. You will see it overflowing. Not a bad thing because. That's when it's full. It will also let any excess out. So once it stops coming out the level is UNARGUEABLY perfectly full.

After a swap, I understand, half you car is apart. Shifter is out, console is out or apart etc. Easy access to inside the transmission. The temptation to fill it from there is great.

For maintenance, after a swap or after a rebuild. I find it alot less work to just hang a hose from a funnel down behind the passenger side cylinder head and stick it in the fill plug hole. Pour 2 Litres in and slowly pour in the third Litre (depending on your transmission).
Old 01-17-2010, 11:15 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Yeah, that's what the fill hole is for.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:25 PM
TheMustangLoveR
2nd Gear Member

I've spoken to many people about this and I get the feeling that this is the logical conclusion I can reach given what I've heard from calling shops, etc.

People are quick to assume and whine and say hey you can't fill it through the shifter, you're supposed to fill it from the fill hole! I can hear in their voice they have no idea what they are talking about.

Not one person has taken a moment to say something like "hmm...regardless of where you filled it, oil SHOULD NOT be coming out of the front of the transmission, period.

I'm willing to bet there is something wrong with the midplate, such as a bad seal or a scrwe missing.

Anyway, just putting that out there since the responses I have received have only been frustrating.

And, of course, I tried filling it the "right" way, and the same thing happened. I'm sure filling it through the shifter is fine.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:40 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Unless you over filled it and overloaded the seal, causing it to leak. If you fill from the shifter you need to add the correct amount of fluid for the trans, not just add oil until "after a while it starts coming out the front." Without pulling the trans and finding out where it's actually leaking from, you're not going to know.