MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech-6/)
-   -   problems with a car not moved in a year and a half (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech/582346-problems-with-a-car-not-moved-in-a-year-and-a-half.html)

luckytony 01-19-2010 11:12 AM

problems with a car not moved in a year and a half

hello everyone. Just looking for some advice on a 95 GT thats been sitting in my neighbors driveway for a while. I would like to buy it for a daily driver but am concerned about it sitting for so long without being moved.

Should I buy it and, what may I have to fix or replace after sitting for so long? And what problems may I encounter?

MustangBradley 01-19-2010 05:52 PM

Why was it parked? If it was in good condition prior to parking, you should be able to do a little routine maintaince and drive it away.

chronos 01-19-2010 08:27 PM

Wow, 18 months without even starting it up? I think you will have some issues. If you are planning on a daily driver you will have stuff breaking down.

Jfsram 01-19-2010 08:40 PM

Why not start it up and make a decision.

I tried to buy a similar car 4 years ago. It was an 88 LX. Only driven on weekends and during good weather. It was a 60,000km car that's been stored for over 10 years.

I had my doubts too but went and started it up. Ran and drove like a brand new car. Problem was after pulling it out of storage blah, blah, blah. Owner got cold feet and decided to keep it.

luckytony 01-20-2010 07:52 AM

Thanks for the input guys. The car is his sons who was at college and in the process of getting married so now he doesn't have the money to keep it.

It was just setting because he was at school and his dad didn't care because it wasn't his car and as far as I know his dad said it just needs a new battery and the cats put back on the exhaust to pass inspection. It also looks like he was in the process of putting a aftermarket shifter on.

It has not been run or moved in 18 months or so.

So do you all think its still worth taking a chance? I think I can get it for very cheap because he probably needs the money after just buying a house

What problems do you think I would encounter once I start driving it?

onlymustangfords 01-20-2010 06:26 PM

Stored car checklist.

Hey there!

I just got a 95 Mustang going after sitting for 2 years.

Here's a few things you should look at even if the car has been in a heated garage.

1. Battery will be no good unless its been sitting on a trickle charger the whole time.
2. Brake fluid is Hydroscopic, which means that it attracts moisture. At best, you can have stopping problems or a spongy pedal. At worst, the master cylinder and maybe some wheel cylinders have rusted and are iffy.

3. I wouldn't try to take it far until you, at least, flush the brake system with new brake fluid. You could also have a mechanic test it. Some have a brake fluid moisture tester (but not all).

4. Check all the wiring. I had two problems to fix. The first was corroded grounds and somehow a short. When I tried to turn over the starter, it killed the dash lights and popped the breaker, while the starter clicked like there was a dead battery (it was new).

I had to pull all of the wiring and the starter out and test it one piece at a time until I found the problems and them reinstalled it all.

5. Check all the connectors and both computer and fuel injection wiring. Mice had eaten all the wires right through the plastic loom cover and took out 4 injectors, which also contributed to the computer saying "no, I'm not going to let you start the car".

6. If there's any old gas in the tank, you need to drain it and put in some fresh gas. Even then, you might need to force it to start with quick start. Be prepared to have it start and stall many times before it runs ok.

7. It will smoke and sputter probably for 5-10 minutes before it starts to run ok (belching smoke and shaking) while the old gas in the lines gets cleaned out.

8. Expect to hear a lot of noise from the brakes. The rotors will be rusted, the car may not stop well for a bit, so test them out carefully.

Do those things and you should be ok.

:icon_lol:

luckytony 01-20-2010 09:22 PM

Thanks onlymustangfords! Really great info to know.
Well unfortunately it has been sitting outside all this time so I will have to do a good check. The bad thing is we have squirrels all over the place here so the wiring and other parts may have been dinner for them some time ago. The other stuff doesn't sound to bad but the electrical stuff scares me.

I can do the mechanical stuff no problem but I am definitely no electrician.

Thanks for the good info I will let you know what i find.