General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New to forum. How to maintain my mustand

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:38 PM
daniellemangino@yahoo.com

Default New to forum. How to maintain my mustand

Hi, I have a 2006 mustang GT with over 90,000 miles on it. I am getting ready to take it in for service but wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on how best to maintain it. Should I be using different spark plugs? What can I do to make sure I am taking the best care possible of my baby?
Old 03-15-2010, 02:28 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Wow, someone has been driving the wheels off that thing. If it is new to you, you will want them to do give it a good check over to see if any major service was done at 50k or 75k miles. Have them check the conditions of the plugs, flush the trans, check the coolant, change the oil & filter. For regular maintenance, just keep the oil fresh, the outside washed and the inside detailed and it will provide you with many more happy miles.

Also, is it bone stock, or have you done anything to it?
Old 03-16-2010, 01:51 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

I was told spark plugs last 300K miles BUT I changed mine at 75K I used BOSCH Platinum. Also you can replace your plug WIRES. Start using full Synthetic oil, cost more but you know it wont break down after 2000K miles. I use Valvoline Full Synthetic.

Change your air filter as often as it needs it , normally every 4 months for me. I dont drive a lot. I took my radiator reservoir off one day and washed it out with the hose, lots of gunk in there. Be sure you wash under the car lots after the roads are salted for winter.

SEAFOAM is sold at auto zone, its a one in all miracle can. You can use it to clean your fuel line (add to gas tank) or clean your cars inatke (Pour into IAC valve) You'll see white junk come out your exhaust for a min, clean until no more white smoke.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:30 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

yeah same stuff

i like mobil1 "hi mileage" synthetic oil, or mobil1 "extended life" 10w30 either way

you will virtually stop engine wear with a switch to synthetic, add 10% mileage and about 2% hp... thats no lie

change intervals bump out to about 5k over 3k and if you go to walmart you can get a 5qt jug for $22 or so

keep it clean, including the underbody and spots that hide grime or salt like the the wheel wells and places where stuff will accumulate

wax it often, and drive it like hell
Old 03-17-2010, 01:35 PM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob

wax it often,
Amen to this note. I like Liquid Glass polish (It is not really a wax). It is easy a hell to put on, but is a little spendy at $20ish a bottle
Old 03-22-2010, 01:20 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Guy that I knew and worked on my 240sx was telling me in states like Florida where the sun is more intense, I should use polish rather then wax. I take his work, he normally restores classic cars.

I live in Ky now and use NXT1 wax or what ever its called, only use wax twice a year , over wax change remove clear coat.