General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

dammit clips on window crank and door handle

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 09:40 PM
gblandin

Angry dammit clips on window crank and door handle

I'm doing a minor restoration on an early 1965 and I had to remove the inside door panels to repair the door latching and locking mechanism. This required removal of the inside door handle and window crank. I thought I was going to lose my mind removing the insane little Dammit clips that hold the handles to the shafts. I remember thinking "there must be better way". The rest of my thoughts about the designer of this system should not and will not be repeated here.
My question : Are there replacment handles available that do not require these torture devices? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. PS. Please don't make me put these back on! Please.

Gregg
Old 03-15-2010, 09:45 PM
elfdud7

Default oh boy

yeah, i have a simmilar problem with those blasted things. It feels like you're jamming a 2X4 into a shotgun sometimes, dosn't it? any tips, anyone?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:50 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

I haven't removed the handles from an old Ford, but I have from an old Chevy. Do yours use the C clips that you have to use a special tool to remove? Once you get that tool they come off quite easy, and no there aren't any better ones available without replacing the shaft that holds them. Be careful messing around with those handles. They are made from some crappy pot metal that breaks very easily and you will have to go hunting for new ones. I remember an old Granada we had that I think had a small screw in the center of the handle, but the shaft has to be ready to accept that screw.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:04 PM
gblandin

I haven't removed the handles from an old Ford, but I have from an old Chevy. Do yours use the C clips that you have to use a special tool to remove? Once you get that tool they come off quite easy, and no there aren't any better ones available without replacing the shaft that holds them. Be careful messing around with those handles. They are made from some crappy pot metal that breaks very easily and you will have to go hunting for new ones. I remember an old Granada we had that I think had a small screw in the center of the handle, but the shaft has to be ready to accept that screw

I'm hoping you are wrong, but I doubt it.