General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

High pitch squeal/grind and loss of power...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:35 PM
TheNyteWalker

Default High pitch squeal/grind and loss of power...

I hope I am posting this in the the right place, and if not I apologize. I am new to the forums, and am learning about doing my own mechanical work. I purchased a 2002 Mustang 3.8L V6 Manual about 2 years ago. Lately I learned and did my own plugs, wires, coil, PCV valve, air filter, fuel filter, and cam sensor. All the while I have had a recurring problem. Typically what happens is if the car is idling, in neutral, and I rev the engine to about 3k - 4k RPMs it makes a high pitched squealing/grinding noise along with all power being lost, as if I turned the car off for a moment. Once the squealing/grinding stops everything is fine. When driving it can happen anytime. Sometimes in low gears at about 2k RPMs. I've looked at it being a pulley, belt, AC unit, or alternator but was told they all seem fine. Any suggestions on what could be causing this would be great. Just keep in mind I have no experience in doing any car work, except for the above mentioned, so please keep that in mind when responding..lol. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2010, 12:04 PM
capri man
1st Gear Member

first i would take all the belts off and try it. you might can isolate it this way. also you can take a yardstick etc. and put it where you suspect the noise is coming from with the other end to your ear. kinda like a drs stethoscope!! sounds like an idler pulley or the alt.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:30 PM
TheNyteWalker

Ok, new update to my mystery..lol. I was driving home on the interstate and it happened and the service engine light came on. Took it and had AutoZone scan it and got a "Cam sensor failure" code. I had already replaced the sensor, so the guy told me it is possible it is the shaft or cam going bad. So will be doing a bit of research on that next chance I get. We already checked the pulleys, alt, AC, and belt was just changed about a month ago....so slowly narrowing this down..lol
Old 03-25-2010, 12:06 AM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like you might have a bad VCT assembly.