General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Rear end howling, Weird symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 05:02 PM
ruggeri5054

Default Rear end howling, Weird symptoms

ok, so I have a 90 lx 5.0 notch, anyways the rear is howling when driving, noise STOPS when i use the brakes, so I ran it with out with drums on and the noise is still there, But when i hit the brakes the noise goes away. Absolutely no play left to right on the wheel bearing, and noise is pretty constant while accelerating or de accelerating what do you think
Old 03-27-2010, 11:20 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Probably a bad pinion bearing. The reason it stops when you apply the brakes is because you are changing the load on it.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Check to see if the pinion nut has come loose.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:16 PM
ruggeri5054

But if there is no play would it even change the load on the axle just curious and if it is the pinion or axle bearing how long can I go
Old 03-28-2010, 08:18 PM
ruggeri5054

Originally Posted by Jfsram
Check to see if the pinion nut has come loose.
is that pretty simple
Old 03-29-2010, 11:00 AM
jccapri

does your shifter shake it can be the driveshaft
Old 03-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ruggeri5054
is that pretty simple
It's simple with an impact gun but also a bit out of "the proper procedure."

Remove the driveshaft. This exposes the pinion nut bolt. Mark it with paint or a Sharpie. Hit the nut with the impact gun for a few quick blasts.

If the noise comes and goes with the application of brakes. I'm thinking it's not the pinion nut.

I've a couple times on 8.8 but they are also known for wearing out the hardened finish on the axle shafts where the outer bearings ride on them.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:45 AM
ShakenRoush05
2nd Gear Member

You need to have someone ride in the back of the car to diagnose the area that the noise seems to be coming from. I always suggest to go at the simple things first. Check your rear end fluid as well. I would strongly suggest you diagnose ASAP as you don't want to have a wheel bearing seize while your driving (not good). Have you done any work on the rear end, if so someone will need to check your gears as the lash may not be have been set properly. If its the gear settings, how long have you been driving like this? Ain't no feeler gauge gonna fix worn gears, have that checked as well! let me know how you make out! If all else fails turn up the radio!
Old 03-30-2010, 07:18 AM
ruggeri5054

Ok thank you ill probably just take it to the shop..lol I have done a few motor swaps and tranny replacements in the past but I just don't have the time to spend trying to diagnose this ha. So ill let you know asap thanks again
Old 04-04-2010, 03:42 PM
ruggeri5054

well, i opened the cover today, and the bearings look fine no metal shavings or anything abnormal, no bluing on the metal, everything is fine there, wheel bearing has no play what so ever, it still howls until i press the brakes, I added friction modifier and 2 and a half bottles of gear oil... still howls, it will pose every time and there is no clunking, drive shaft is stable and all bearings seem to be like new...what the hell could it be this is really irritating, not the pinion bearing, nor the axle bearing..could it be in the brakes?

Quick Reply: Rear end howling, Weird symptoms