General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Jack stands

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:36 PM
icor1031

Default Jack stands

The safety warning says not to use jackstands for all 4 ends of the car at once.

While honestly I don't know why, I could see why with My car. The front doesn't have any really stable places to jack it ..

Now, how do I lift all 4 ends of my car so that I can check the trans fluid?

Is it safe to drive the front onto ramps, and jackstand the rear?

Would it be high enough, if I did that? The car would be at a flat angle instead of angled up, giving me less than normal space to work in on the front (from ramps.)..

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:31 PM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Does the safety warning also state they are not to be used on vehicles elevated above the ground?

Follow all appropriate safety procedures!

Many of my vehicles have been suspended by jack stands at all four corners w/o issues. (This is not a recommendation)

My procedure is to jack at an approved location and lower onto jackstands at approved locations.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

i jack my cobra every winter at all four corners. front frame rails and then the back axle no problems for me

every car has to have a stable place to place jacks try googleing your car for lift points they have to be able to put it on a lift so where the arms would go for that would be fine
Old 05-03-2010, 04:20 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

I think the concern is that the vehicle is not as stable on jack stands alone. Even a slight bump can cause the car to slide or fall off the jack stands. Especially since, at least on my girlies '98, the front jack points are on the frame rail. So the jack stand can easily slide forward/back.

I would never get underneath a vehicle that had all four wheels off the ground, unless it was one of those HUGE floor lifts at repair shops. Especially with a car like a mustang where its so low that if it did fall, I would get crushed underneath it. But thats just me...

Btw, if your just checking the trans fluid (level), you just need to drive it to a reasonably level location and pull out the dip stick. I use local parking lot. If you are trying to replace the fluid, you can easily do it with just the front end off the ground.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

The danger is using 4 stands under the frame all at once. The problem is nothing is perfect. Take a stiff unibody car, a concrete floor and a set of cheap axle stands.

Assuming everything is perfect, each stand will be loaded with weight. No problem.

Now lets say the floor has a low spot of 3/16" which is TOTALLY realistic. That stand will NOT touch the car unless your car bends down to reach it.
In this case the car will sit there on 3 stands with the 4rth one just ready to take the weight if the car is tilted down in that direction.
I'm sure you've all seen this 100 times on a table in a restaurant.

On a car like the Mustang with a solid rear axle. The safe practice is to place at least 2 stands under the rear axle. The suspension will spring down onto stand no matter what the imperfection.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

gotcha

also u can usually run to quik oil change(valveoline or scrub a dub) and they will do checks free of charge atleast the ones in racine do