General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is the Mustang GT for me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:02 PM
1Sail0r

Default Is the Mustang GT for me?

Hi,

Just a little bit of background here...recently migrated from the Scion forums because I owned a tC for 8 months (first car ) and I recently sold it because it just wasn't fast enough. It was really torquey which I liked but the effect wore off after a while, and I'm deciding to move away from 4 cylinders.

Now I'm looking for a new car and am considering the Mustang as one of my options..my budget is $12k, so I think I can buy a 2004-2006 with that? but I'm wondering how they handle, and how they are generally as cars. Will I really feel the speed? I love the feeling of stepping on the gas pedal and getting pulled into your chair so again I ask,

is Mustang GT the right fit for me? :P
Old 04-22-2010, 11:00 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

For 12K, I would look at a Cobra. I have seen plenty of 99-01's go in that range and sometimes an 03-04. They are nice as far as sports cars go. Easy enough to drive, comfortable for the most part and not too terrible on gas. Plenty reliable so long as you take care of em.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:28 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

03-04 cobra for 12k? where you lookin lol?

but 12k should get you a 03-04 mach1 or a 99/01 cobra if you can wheel and deel right (car dealerships are HURTING for business right now, if your pre-approved for 12k from your bank it should be in and out if you can sweet talk a little bit).

handling isn't going to be as "cool" as the little 4 banger imports. the imports usually handle a little better in turns (stock) because of their lighter weight, fwd, whatever it is...but who cares about that nonsense. you want something fun in turns go buy a bike you will never regret it. will you feel the torque? yes.

if you are trying to decide on buying a mustang by its "feel" then go out and test drive one, you don't sound like you've ever been in one. go test drive a few mustangs see what YOU think, not what we think.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:50 AM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N

but 12k should get you a 03-04 mach1 or a 99/01 cobra if you can wheel and deel right (car dealerships are HURTING for business right now, if your pre-approved for 12k from your bank it should be in and out if you can sweet talk a little bit).

handling isn't going to be as "cool" as the little 4 banger imports. the imports usually handle a little better in turns (stock) because of their lighter weight, fwd, whatever it is...but who cares about that nonsense. you want something fun in turns go buy a bike you will never regret it. will you feel the torque? yes.

if you are trying to decide on buying a mustang by its "feel" then go out and test drive one, you don't sound like you've ever been in one. go test drive a few mustangs see what YOU think, not what we think.
I agree with him. Not all people are meant/like Muscle cars but, you will never know if you do or do not if you never test drive one.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:39 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N

I have seen a couple of 03's for the 12-13K range, but they were high mile cars and one had a rebuilt title.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:23 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

lol you will deff feel a difference from a 4 banger to a V8...these motors are reliable, parts are cheap and everywhere, and are easy to work on with room (assuming you can do your own work)

depends on what body style you like....94-98 or 99-04 or 05+...either way i would look for last year in any generation. that said i went looking for an 04 GT.

but go find one, drive it (even if its not exactly what you want) just to get a feel for it. ive had my 04 for about 8 months now and drove an 08....not impressed. overall i like the 99-04 style for interior and exterior IMO.

careful with going from a 4 banger scion to a 03-04 cobra....you could get in troube REAL quick if you dont know how to handle the power. hell you can get in toruble with just a GT but...
Old 04-23-2010, 01:19 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

how old are you? If you're a young guy then you might wanna get a few insurance quotes before buying anything. Make sure you're sitting down when you hear the quote.

I suggest you consider getting a V6 with a 5-speed insteaf. Still plenty powerful but cheaper insurance & a bit better on gas too.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:02 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreyStang
how old are you? If you're a young guy then you might wanna get a few insurance quotes before buying anything. Make sure you're sitting down when you hear the quote.

I suggest you consider getting a V6 with a 5-speed insteaf. Still plenty powerful but cheaper insurance & a bit better on gas too.
boo to that comment lol and then what, when he wants more power to buy another car?

V6 was/is for people who just wanted to say "i own/drive a mustang" but then have to deal with telling people over and over "but it's only a V6"

and i can get 22-24 mpg in my 04 GT 5 spd...and that's not shifting at 1500-2000 rpm EVERYTIME but not romping on it either.

drive one first off to see if you even like these cars lol
Old 04-23-2010, 02:27 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Most of the imports don't handle better, it's all the driver. Light FWD cars are more forgiving in a turn than a large RWD car, but they don't handle better...just easier to manage. Most people don't know how to drive a RWD car through a turn properly.

As far as stepping up from a Scion to a Mustang GT, you should seriously consider spending money on some high performance driving lessons. You wouldn't be the first person to make a jump like that and end up wrapping their car around a power pole. A lower power FWD car is lightyears away from a higher power RWD car.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by GreyStang

+100

Insurance has a huge impact for under 25 yr old drivers with a V8 vs a V6. When I got quotes (back in 1999) for a GT I was 23. The GT was $3200 a year vs the V6 which was $1750, that's nearly double! I had clean record too, no accidents and no tickets. Just wasn't worth it to me.

Now with the GT I have (35) the cost is that of what the V6 was for me back then.

Quick Reply: Is the Mustang GT for me?