General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

6 to V8 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Raven_pbr
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 6 to V8 mustang

Not to mention if the insurance company found out about your lil 6 to 8 swap..you are screwed.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:58 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

I have a 1995 Mustang V6, she was a good car and with her Ram Cobra R clutch beat a few GT's in her time but alas she has passed away.

My engine blew at about 160k miles so I went into an engine swap, I knew what I was getting into, hell I had even planned for a SUPER V6 from www.supersixmotorsports.com but I found that a V8 swap would be kinda (???) Cheaper and for sure would sound better and get more looks. To be quite honest it was initial cost that struck me HARD! Super Six was going to give me a fully assebled 9.1:1 compression mini 4.3L stroker ready for some serios boost for about $5000 out the door (About 3000 off normal pricing) and I just had to supply my own power adder (In this case a Twin Turbo setup since the manifold was already designed for it) But at 5 Grand I couldnt get it right away so I opted for the infamous V8 swap I did alot of reasearch and found that an 03/04 Mach 1 engine and trans sold for about $4500 on ebay and as much as $7000 at local wreckers. I got lucky and found a wrecker back east that deals with ONLY ford test vehicles and I managed to get a very sweet little package from them for only $3380! I got an engine with less then 100 miles on it, the matching trans, two wiring harnesses and starters (By accident) and the WHOLE FRONT K-FRAME and front suspension!!! Now I bought a Livernois 302 FORGED and Ballanced Stroker kit for it which was $1850 and had it installed for $450 and ballanced and blueprinted AGAIN, I also got a new High flow oil pump, and an ARP head stud kit (Main and rod bolts were ARP from the kit) and that cost about $320-ish as well. So we are already talking $6000 dollars just in the engine! Then I have to get new callipers and rotors ALL THE WAY AROUND to replace the old rusty ones which just for stock replacements and brembo rotors will run me about $800 bux. Then I have to set my new suspension up, springs, sway bars, bushings, controll arms, subframe connectors, battle boxes, gears. Then I need a different transmission because the ol 3665 being brand new still wont last too long when I am reaching for about 500hp, so thats about $1700 for the TKO-600 that I want with the .82 final gear. Then I am having TSP build me a carbon fiber driveshaft with aluminum yokes which is $709 dollars and I will have a RAM VDS adjustable clutch and billitt aluminum flywheel infront of the trans. Of course I will have a Tri-Axe short throw as well. Then I have to spend about another $350 on a fluidyne radiator and about $50 on misc equipment for that. And the list goes on and on for little things. But at least I have the major components now, the car, the engine and trans, the rear-end and me

My point is that there is alot to do if you are going to build power with a V8 swap, most of that stuff I listed has to be upgraded anyways on a V6, such as the suspension and wiring harness. The extra stuff for crazy power and handling that I added is just for me and may not be for you

Now for your age, I think the others are right, you should start off with something a little slower as your first, hell you could even sport a V6 stang for a while untill you are READY for the swap. Teach yourself how to do most of it and ask lots of questions, most of my build is being done on my own. I was 20 when I got my first car and my license, it was a 1970 Chevelle with a beefy 1966 Chevelle 396 punching out somewhere in the area of 500+hp That was a hard car to drive too because the throttle was sensative and liked to stick sometimes if you werent nice to her. I almost wrecked and possibly died in that car once. I raced my buddies 69' Chevelle Malibu 350 (Bolt on mods) down our frotage road, about 1/2-ish mile long and at the end was a ravine. We start infront of my house, I ease into it and we stay neck and neck for a minute and I slowly pull (By the way I never hit 1/2 throttle I was too scared) We got to 132 (according to him) and then it came time to stop, well I couldnt stop too well, I lost my brakes and the road turned 90 degree's leaving only the ravine infront of me. Through furios pumping and trying to downshift that worn TH400 I managed to get to about 30ish and squalled around that corner almost losing it. I was f*cking scared! My speedo didnt work but he said his wrapped past the 120 and he estimated 132, so that is the fastest I have ever been, the most scared and it was all in my first race ever [8D]

But anyways thats a bad example, or maybe a good one depending on how you look at it, just start with something slower that you can get the feel for.

Its time for bed for me, night!

-Eric-

PS. Good luck in your decision!
Old 08-08-2005, 05:53 AM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

you can get a v6 or even a 2.3. seriously there not lieing about getting a slow car. I'm 17 and well i have had two 2.3's there pretty fun to play around with but not fast but i have still managed to end up off the road and hit someone's car because of it. the 2.3 is fun to do burnouts with and donuts as long as its 5 speed, plus you can enjoy the great gasmilage too.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:25 PM
v8tt

Thanks guys for all your help. I was looking around and found out about the Lincoln mark 7 LSC, it has the 5.0 mustang drivetrain but just in a bigger more luxgurous(sp) package. What do you guys think about these car or are they considered a grampa car.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:21 PM

I looked into it a while ago, too costly. You have to replace the rear end, the engine, the trans, there's so much that goes into it. This is why I supercharging my car to 11psi next year. Stick with the v6 for a while, then later on you can buy something else, supercharge it, do an engine swap if you really want. You have time...

Old 08-09-2005, 05:53 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

Another point. Since converting is pretty much same as dropping a new engine in and new tranny, and new rear end, and new computer, and new drive shaft. Why not stick a big block into it right from the get go.

AL
Old 08-10-2005, 04:15 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

You can do whatever you want with it as long as smog laws permit or a Smog tech owes you one
Old 08-10-2005, 03:55 PM
DreamKing
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: v8tt

I was wondering if it is possible to take a mustang with normally a 4 or 6 cylinder and put in a v8? There the same body style right, so what if I had a mustang v8 donar car and took all the necessary parts from the 8 car and put it in the 6. Is it possible, i want to know becuase I don't want to pay high insurance for the v8 considering I would be 17. So I figure buy a 4 or 6 register as that and then swap with a 8. Do you think it is possible without any great difficulty.
The difference isn't significant enough to warrant that kind of work if you ask me. I'm almost 19 with no tickets or accidents and I pay $120 a month to insure my car. The only other car I've ever had insured was a '97 Eclipse Spyder, and that cost me $150 a month. The amount of cylinders really doesn't affect insurance very much. Points on your record, cost of the vehicle, kind of car, etc, are what determine your insurance. A v6 stang and a GT are both sports cars. Just buy the GT.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:41 PM
v8tt

Well I don't know where you live but I was quoted 3000 a year for a 89 mustang for when I'm 19 with a perfect driving record. I guess in Ontario insurance is expensive. So do you guys know of any cool 4 or 6 cylinder cars that are fast and car be had for cheap, but no imports. And you guys never gave me your thoughts on the lincoln mark 7 lsc or is it pretty much a grampa car. Thanks again.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:38 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

Mark VIII is pretty good, it's heavy too. Have a look at Dodge SRT-4. That's what I had to choose between, a GT or SRT-4.

Quick Reply: 6 to V8 mustang