General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

COST TO REPLACE REAR AXLE 2007 V6

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:00 AM
mustang8669

Default COST TO REPLACE REAR AXLE 2007 V6

2007 Mustang V6 - son hit RR tracks and the Mustang got air then slide sideways off the road. The front end slid thru a driveway but the rear end jumped a curb. It had 21" rims and very low profile tires which, on the rear, were ruined in the incident. We have it on jackstands in the garage and noticed the rear axle was leaking. Closer observation it appears that the axle is bent causing the driver's side rear tire (side of impact) to be further inside the wheel well. Can anyone tell me what cost and damages I may be looking at. I was not going to claim on insurance because I thought I was only replacing 2 tires and rims...any info greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:06 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Might be more than just the rear axle that is messed up. Hitting a curb like that can screw up a lot of stuff. I'd personally bring it to a shop to have them look at it.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:15 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

I agree with needing to have a shop make sure the whole car isn't sprung. If not, I would check with newtakeoff.com. They have the GT take off complete rear axle assemblies, but they're basically bolt in to the v-6's. Good luck
Old 07-31-2010, 10:43 PM
Cusp
2nd Gear Member

Caught air over the RR crossing. Live and learn... Good to not hear about your Son being injured as well.

If you buy a new rear end from NTO, they will run about 800 to 900. But it will be a 8.8 instead of the 7.5 inch and will have limited slip. So he gets an upgrade. Good time to review what gears you want in them too. The 3.31 (stock) are the cheapest by about 100 bucks. Other ratios go for more. Must be a supply and demand thing.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:00 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cusp
Caught air over the RR crossing. Live and learn... Good to not hear about your Son being injured as well.

If you buy a new rear end from NTO, they will run about 800 to 900. But it will be a 8.8 instead of the 7.5 inch and will have limited slip. So he gets an upgrade. Good time to review what gears you want in them too. The 3.31 (stock) are the cheapest by about 100 bucks. Other ratios go for more. Must be a supply and demand thing.
The 3.31 is actually a lot cheaper, it is only $650 from NTO. However, I don't think a new rear end will solve the problem of the wheel being further in the wheel well than normal.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:07 AM
V6Vin
1st Gear Member

If your wheel is set further into the wheel well then it is probably bent lower control arms, or maybe just a bent pan hard bar can cause off set. Disconnect the pan hard bar and see if it shifts back in place. If your car doesn't have the pan hard bar then it is most likely lower control arms. Most people who lower their cars have to install an adjustable pan hard bar to re-align the rear end after it's lowered because lowering will shift it to the side.

Last edited by V6Vin; 08-01-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:47 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Caught air over the RR crossing. Live and learn
lol I did that in a 17' truck when I was younger. Kept it on the road but man, it was a scary thing lol.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Cusp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MOOK3456
lol I did that in a 17' truck when I was younger. Kept it on the road but man, it was a scary thing lol.
He he. Keeping my head from hitting the roof of the car was what got me in the habit or wearing my seat belt. There was this certain spot on the way home you see.....
Old 08-06-2010, 12:55 PM
mustang8669

Smile

Thanks for the replies! Update - new tires/rims are on the car and it sits square and drives without a single pull or shake. With that said we know there are issues with the axle because it was leaking around the housing. It appears that the damage to the rear axle was NOT caused from hitting the curb as the car was sliding sideways but instead from the landing. Apparently, when the front end hit the ground it slammed the rearend down like a whip. Both rear rims were cracked on the inside of the rims. The abrupt landing bent the axle upward causing the bow in the axle. Looked on NTO at axles and I can get the GT 8.8 rear axle assembly 3:31:1 ratio w/ ABS w/ trac loc. Again, I am kinda lost on if that is going to fit this car. It is a V6 2007 automatic. Thanks again for any info! Need to get this car back on the road.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:06 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang8669
Thanks for the replies! Update - new tires/rims are on the car and it sits square and drives without a single pull or shake. With that said we know there are issues with the axle because it was leaking around the housing. It appears that the damage to the rear axle was NOT caused from hitting the curb as the car was sliding sideways but instead from the landing. Apparently, when the front end hit the ground it slammed the rearend down like a whip. Both rear rims were cracked on the inside of the rims. The abrupt landing bent the axle upward causing the bow in the axle. Looked on NTO at axles and I can get the GT 8.8 rear axle assembly 3:31:1 ratio w/ ABS w/ trac loc. Again, I am kinda lost on if that is going to fit this car. It is a V6 2007 automatic. Thanks again for any info! Need to get this car back on the road.
If you mean this- http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_gt..._trac-loc.aspx

Yes it's a direct fit on the v6. Just make sure you also buy the cobra pinion flange if it doesn't already have it. It's like $25.00 I believe. I'd call to order to make sure you get what you need.

Also...A little cheaper here: http://www.speedconcepts.net/product...roducts_id=728
Flange needed- http://www.speedconcepts.net/product...roducts_id=757

Last edited by MOOK3456; 08-06-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Quick Reply: COST TO REPLACE REAR AXLE 2007 V6