General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ford mustang 2000 i need serious help

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 06:49 PM
venom0088

Default ford mustang 2000 i need serious help

i was recently involved in an accident with a retard who ran a stop sign.

The adjuster took a look and estimated the damage to be over 3500, more than my car is worth. This didnt take into count the fact my car has been making weird sounds. Anywho, the airbags deployed, is their anyway to reset them? cut them out? or what do i have to do, that DOESNT involve me buying new airbags. Would just about any mechanic know how to trip/reset the airbags? or is it something illegally done?

I also have a weird tick tick sound coming from the rear passengers side of the car, it only starts once im driving , and driving over 10 mph. if i let go off the gas it doesnt tick. it kind of sounds like the bed squeaking sound, just not as rapid. What can i narrow it down too something? transmission line? exhaust? maybe a shock is loose.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:52 PM
MiamiMustang

Well, can't help with the airbag problem, but the tick tick I might be able to help with. I'm going to say either bearing or something in the drive chain. It only occurs when the gas is being pressed, so under load. That probably wouldn't be a strut or shock. How far back is the sound? Could also be the differential. Did you have full coverage? Hope it works out for you!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:38 PM
venom0088

well, the sound sounds like it is coming from the right side of the wheel area.

im not going to say its from the wheel, because even though its coming from that area, it definitely sounds higher than wheel level. The weird thing is that when i had my car in park and i hit gas to see if i could hear the sound. i couldnt.

no, i didnt have collision damage, so i have to go through his insurance.

the accident looked something like this me driving on a main road, no stop sign for me, hes coming from a side street with a stop sign. right when im about pass that little section, he decides to go ahead. I try to brake, unfortunately it wasnt in time. Ended up looking like a T crash
Old 08-03-2010, 04:13 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

You'll need new airbags to keep it legal.

I'd say your 'tick tick tick' is an exhaust leak. Is your car a V6? If so, check the passanger side exhaust manifold for a crack. The sixers are known for having them crack due to where the AC drips. Might be pointless now that the car is totalled.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:10 PM
venom0088

you can legally drive without airbags. Cant you?

from what i know, if i remove the airbags and console module for them, ill just that annoying airbag light. But i go to a private inspector as it is , so its not a big deal.

the sound i described, after careful examination by my friend, well sound wise is more like a squeaky sound, like springs on a bed, when im in neautral and i rev up the engine, you dont hear it... only when i start going over 20mph does the sound pick up.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:13 PM
venom0088

oh and the car is deemeds totalled by the insurance company, which doesnt mean its actually totalled. The car doesnt have ridiculous cosmetic damage. Only airbags, and rearview mirror, and the hood doesnt close properly. This is his insurance company, and from what i know. i get to keep the car, they dont tell the dmv its totalled
Old 08-03-2010, 01:18 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Depending on state laws, you can do just about anything you want to your car and have it still be legal. You just have to inform your insurance company of some of them like v6-v8 swap, airbag delete, abs delete. As these change the value of the car or the cost to insure it.