General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Pro5.0 vs. Hurst Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 04:14 PM
lil_sixer
2nd Gear Member

Default Pro5.0 vs. Hurst Shifter

I have a 2007 GT and hates the feeling of the stock shifts,Which one should I get?Which one would make more comfortable shifts.I know the answers are going to be a little biased but I just want you guys feedback
Thanks,
David
Old 08-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Many guys go to aftermarket for a shorter throw, a more positive feel and often because of the positive stops.

As for which one will be more comforatble. Stock.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:29 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Comfortable
MGW
http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang2005_shifter.shtml
Old 08-19-2010, 06:19 PM
quarter mile malone

just stay away from the B&M ripper... worst shifter i have ever used
Old 08-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jfsram
Many guys go to aftermarket for a shorter throw, a more positive feel and often because of the positive stops.

As for which one will be more comforatble. Stock.
You must've never driven in a car with a MGW shifter. I totally agree with Lizzy Fan. When it comes' to comfort and ease of shifting, MGW cannot be touched. I had a Hurst shifter and really didn't like it. I bought a MGW and it's almost impossible (not saying that it can't be done) to miss third gear now. Even my wife loves how the car shifts now.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:44 PM
The_Third_Horseman
2nd Gear Member

I have a 2007 GT myself, and have actually had both of these shifters in my car.

PRO 5.0

Good: Nice and tight crisp feel, short throw, impossible to miss 3rd.

Bad: Takes a massive amount of effort to go into 5th or reverse. They wear out pretty quick. I had three, thats right THREE of these in my car. PRO 5.0 kept replacing them till I finnally said enough, Im done. Each one had mechanically failed and had metal pieces in the mechanism and a broken spring. And I drive like grandma 99% of the time, not alot of hard shifting.

Summary: Absolutely awesome shifter ( with the exception of hitting 5th and R ), but thats when it works.

Hurst:

Good: Very solid shifter. Super short throw. Very cool look. Shifts are pretty precise yet not as much as the PRO 5.0, with the exception of 5th and R. Although it is still FAR better than the stock unit which is total junk that cannot find 3rd to save its life. Finally, it has been in my car longer than any other shifter and has stood up to everything I can throw at it and still operates as well as the first day I put it in. Shifts are very fast and feel very positive letting you throw down the torque a little harder.

Bad: Not as tight as the PRO 5.0 Pretty notchy, and there is some mechanical noise associated with it, to put it another way, it makes it known that you have put it into the desired gear with a nice pop, but its normal, and kinda cool if you like that. It also takes a little effort, but thats the trade off for the short throw.

Summary: The Hurst has its high points, but a few lowes as well, but an all around great shifter.

The wrap up: I prefer the PRO 5.0 over the Hurst, but again, thats WHEN it works. So Id say that the PRO 5.0 is the better shifter, but the Hurst is FAR superior when it comes to quality.