MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech-6/)
-   -   My brake lights will not come on! Help! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech/620520-my-brake-lights-will-not-come-on-help.html)

vano3696 10-17-2010 02:40 PM

My brake lights will not come on! Help!

Hi- I am new to this forum, and am hoping someone has the majic answer to my brake light issue. The turn signals, hazards, and parking lights all work but the brake lights do not. I have replaced the flasher,all the fuses and bulbs, power testing the switch and I have power with a test light to the socket. BUT as soon as I put the bulb back in there is no power for the brakes only. I have looked at all the wires and have found none are bad or coroded. I have no idea what to try next. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what did you do to fix it? Thanks.

19stang88 10-17-2010 02:42 PM

brake light switch under the brake pedal.

MU71L4710N 10-17-2010 05:15 PM

wait, so you get a test bulb to come on at the socket, but with the bulbs in you get nothing? almost sounds like your not getting much juice to the socket. get a DMM and get someone to press down on your brake pedal and see how much voltage your getting at the socket.

petrock 10-17-2010 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N (Post 7248186)
wait, so you get a test bulb to come on at the socket, but with the bulbs in you get nothing? almost sounds like your not getting much juice to the socket. get a DMM and get someone to press down on your brake pedal and see how much voltage your getting at the socket.

I agree… Multi-meter is your friend… Also make sure that the bulbs are making good contact in the socket.

19stang88 10-17-2010 11:43 PM

the test light only turns on when it gets 12 volts

vano3696 10-18-2010 08:38 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I did run a volt meter and it shows 12 with the test light. I even got new sockets and new bulbs. Still nothing. They were working fine, then they just stopped all of a sudden. I checked all the grounds too. I am out of ideas now.

petrock 10-18-2010 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by 19stang88 (Post 7248819)
the test light only turns on when it gets 12 volts

Interesting. My test light will glow brighter depending on the amount of voltage. So I wouldn't assume that just because it lights up that it is at 12 volts. If the light turning on indicated 12 volts it would require some circuitry in the test light that most do not have (which is why they are so cheap).

petrock 10-18-2010 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by vano3696 (Post 7249049)
Thanks for the ideas. I did run a volt meter and it shows 12 with the test light. I even got new sockets and new bulbs. Still nothing. They were working fine, then they just stopped all of a sudden. I checked all the grounds too. I am out of ideas now.

Are you sure that they are the correct bulbs, and that they are seated fully in the socket?

Your testing for voltage at the socket via the wires on the back, correct? If so, what about from inside the socket? The socket itself could be causing a short.

MU71L4710N 10-18-2010 11:17 AM

what does this do?

try using one bulb and go from socket to socket and see if one isnt working (put bulb in first spot, hit brakes, if its ok move on).

vano3696 10-19-2010 09:02 AM

Thanks again.
As soon as you put a bulb in the socket one at a time,there is no power to the switch. Take the bulb out and there is. All the other lights to it work though. Seems like there just isn't enough juice to run 'em. Volt meter says 12.19. I am going to have my husband run a new wire and see what happens.
Thanks forall the suggestions. I do likethis forum.