MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech-6/)
-   -   smoke? only when in drive and stopped...whats up? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech/62600-smoke-only-when-in-drive-and-stopped-whats-up.html)

skunkanova 08-20-2005 03:34 AM

smoke? only when in drive and stopped...whats up?

Well after installing a full exhaust and new intake i started to get smoke...its not white its not blue its more of a grey than anything and ive got dark soot on the ends of my tailpipes, after replacing the spark plus (which i thought might fix the smoke issue) its still there....but it only smokes when i am at a redlight with my foot on the brake (automatic) any ideas? could this be caused by an exhaust leak? or is it just due to it running rich from the off road pipes? i replaced teh o2 sensors and i got an sct tune that disabled the rear o2s but it was smoking before and after the tune.....its not like its a LOT of smoke or anyting its just a bugging kinda smoke that i just dont want to have...

any ides?

P.S.I.cho 08-20-2005 04:18 AM

RE: smoke? only when in drive and stopped...whats up?

run in a few days, new exhaust is usually stored with anti rust protection (most parts are) with heat this should burn off and u will get smoke, if it presists, locate where your smoke is coming from

92hatchLX 08-20-2005 04:28 AM

I think that I know what you are talking about, it's got a bad smell to it. Give it a few days like moocow said, it'll go away. How many miles do your 02 sensors have on them BTW?

skunkanova 08-21-2005 12:22 AM

o2s i just did not 500 miles ago, and the exhaust ive had for a month today

DaGGer 08-21-2005 03:13 AM

what does black soot at the end of your tail pipe mean lol, i have it

02StanGT 08-21-2005 03:15 AM

I would think everyone would have it. Its the carbon from your exhaust. If it's real bad, means your running rich.

skunkanova 08-21-2005 03:16 AM

im pretty sure mine has to do with it runnin rich

02StanGT 08-21-2005 03:19 AM

Yeah I think so too. Grey to dark grey smoke, means ya runnin rich. Or there's not enough spark. What year is your car?

skunkanova 08-21-2005 03:24 AM

mines a 97gt....and i think i fixed most of the smoke issue....oh and ive got something kinda funny about when i replaced my spark plugs last night, my front 2 spark plugs on the pass side where missing the porcelin...wtf? it kinda idled a lil funny ever since i got the car...and when i put the new plugs in it idles much cleaner now....*just wonders where that porcelin went?.*

02StanGT 08-21-2005 03:32 AM

That's weird. If your smoke doesn't go away in I say a week at the most, try changing the plug wires.