General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Battery Keeps on Dying after being looked at by mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 08:57 AM
JdBaLLa40

Default Battery Keeps on Dying after being looked at by mechanic

I have a 1993 GT and I have been having issues with my battery since Spring of 09'. This will by 3rd time replacing it. First time I was driving and it died out on me so they replaced the distributor cap. A couple of months later the car would not start, so I took my battery to AZ to get it tested. They said it was a bad battery so I bought a new one. Now I know a little of it is my fault because I don't drive the car at all, it sits in my parking lot because I have work I have to do to it so it has not been drivable (everything is stock). I try to start it up once a week and let the engine run for about 10 mins. Anyways, Summer of 10' take for a test run dies out on me again. Took the battery back to AZ, tested, came back a negative. Bought a new battery and everything was fine again. Noticed that my Coolant was leaking, took it to the shop they noticed the battery was dead (again) so I took it back to AZ and they tested it and said it was good so I brought it back to the Mechanic and they replaced the alternator, battery terminal end and route cable. The charging system was checked for proper output to battery, wiring checked, and the current draw on the electrical system was checked with no findings. So I get the car back, everything is running fine and then it died out on me while I was driving. Get it towed back to the shop and they did an inertia switch open and reset and did an engine diagnostic with no findings on why it died out. It is now December and it is getting cold in VA. I tried to start it yesterday noticing the door locks barely moving up with the wireless entry so I manually opened the locks and I put the key in the ignition and it cranks but does not want to start. Also I have a Viper alarm that is in Valet Mode right now with a solid red light. I was leaning towards the alarm, but I have no idea. I don't much about cars, everything I do is based off the Haynes Manual so if i get in replies, please know that I am not tech savy at all (I am learning to be) Thank you guys for the help!
Old 12-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Jelly257

man that suck all those battery

what i would do is check the voltage across the battery terminals if the battery is have in kind of amp draw it would show
if it does show start pulling fuses one by one till the draw is gone

if u find the fused compent that causing the draw check wiring on the part or replace it with new one

i had this same problem in a 99 chevy taheo found out it was the little lite on the visior mirror was staying on and would kill the battery after a week

if your battery keeps going dead like u said there is something drawing power from the batter when the car is off
or the people your getting batterys from are putting the cheapest battery they could find in it
Old 12-20-2010, 08:38 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jelly257
what i would do is check the voltage across the battery terminals if the battery is have in kind of amp draw it would show
if it does show start pulling fuses one by one till the draw is gone
I agree its a parasitic power drain somewhere in the electrical system. However, you don't check across the battery terminals. There will always be power across the terminals. The proper way is to disconnect the positive wire from the positive battery terminal and connect a volt meter, or test light, to the positive terminal on the battery and the other end to the positive battery cable to complete the circuit. If you see a voltage draw with the multi-meter, or the test light turn on, then you have a power drain. Pull fuses until the voltage drops or the test light goes out. The fuse that kills the voltage draw or test light is the circuit that is causing the problem. Then the real hunt begins… Once you have that info, post back up and let us know. We can then give you tips on where to go next.

Good luck...

Last edited by petrock; 12-20-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:27 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I hope you are not using the alternator to recharge the battery back from a pretty much dead state. This will damage the alternator. The alternator is meant to maintain the charge and is not meant to recharge the battery from dead.You are always going to have a parasitic draw on the battery example clock on radio, alarm system, even if it is in valet mode. So you must start it on a regular basis to keep the battery recharged or just disconnect the battery if car sits for awhile. Like petrock said you will need to use a meter to check for too much parasitic draw. I also use to own a pickup that had problems with the battery, where it would die, and problems starting up where I would have to jump it. I finally tracked the problem down to a bad starter. Starter was damaging the battery. Not to say that is your problem but you have gone through alot of batteries.

Last edited by DRAGUL; 12-20-2010 at 09:39 PM.