General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

key won't go in the ignition of a 95 GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 06:41 PM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

Default key won't go in the ignition of a 95 GT

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm in a bad way here with my 95 GT ignition. I did a search and came up with all kinds of tech for tumblers, wheel locks and the like.
I haven't found a thread where some lughead like me couldn't even get his/her key in the ignition. The little door dinger comes on and off when I nose the key in, but it won't go in any further and it is a solid stop. I've tried moving the wheel, the tilt, in gear, outta gear, standing on my head, you name it. Nothing.

The key operated fine yesterday - no snags, hangs going in and out. Two things I will mention: 1)The ignition would stay in the 'start' position - ie you had to roll the key back manually a hair. And 2)Last night when I killed it, the little black guide two-pronged on the side of the column rotated freely with the key out of the lock. Now, when I line it up and try to put the key in, bupkus. ARRGH!! [:@][:'(]

If we all decide it's a defective ignition cylinder, are those hard to replace? I've read a little in the search results I found on how to do that. Anyway, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Old 08-21-2005, 11:36 PM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

Default RE: key won't go in the ignition of a 95 GT

C'mon, y'all. Somebody's gotta have a clue...

What, do I need some new deodorant or something? [sniff]
Old 08-22-2005, 12:43 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

94/94 had shizzy azz ignitions.

They turn freely because they break easily from the dealership. Turn the key ears (Without the key in it) counter-clockwise and everytime you see the hole line up with the opening insert your key and try. They thing that happens is with our igitions when we take the key out we tend to turn it and sometimes turn it all the way around, well that gets the teeth off track and that causes a problem, that is why you have to turn it counter-clockwise and try every time the hole is lined up. Commonly we turn the ears clockwise and that is why I have told you counter-clockwise.

Aprils 96' and my 95' Do this, Aprils 96' has an ignition out of a 94' GT.

Good luck.

-Eric-
Old 08-22-2005, 11:37 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Same thing happened in my friends 94 GT. Turned out the teeth were off.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:00 PM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

So is there any way to fix that? How does one get the teeth back on?
Old 08-26-2005, 02:03 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

Default UPDATE!!

I wanted to update you all on my progress. Not enough of that happens. We're always asked for advice or told about a cool project, and more often than not, we're left in the lurch and never know how it turned out. ANYWAY....

Called the stealership and they said $50 for parts to 'rebuild' my ignition with new tumblers in order to keep the same key. Then tack on 1.5 hours of labor to that for the work. At $80 per, that's $170 plus tax. Ouch.

I found a kit on eBay for ignition, doors and trunk (so I would have the same key for everything - minor creature comfort) for $110 plus some minor shipping. A little less ouch, but still ouch.

Got in the zone and called. They had a non-transponder ignition cylinder for $13. I asked about 1,000 times if they were sure this is what I needed. The dude sounded like he knew what the fugginell he was talking about, so I bit. Pulled all the trim off the column, pulled out the tilt shaft, yada yada yada, found the little lock pin and whooped the snot out of it until it busted out. Remember, I couldn't get the key in the lock to turn it to the [ON] position, or else it would have been a cakewalk. Got it all yanked out in about 45 minutes, rotated the little actuator to the [ON] position, slid the new cylinder in place and voila! the 331's hittin on all 8 again!!!!!

For $13 and a little of my time. DIY if you can, baby, DIY!!!

Old 08-27-2005, 01:19 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default RE: UPDATE!!

Awesome! Congrats and such a cheap price too! Now thats some great advice on pricing and where to find it for us 94/95 owners!
Old 01-22-2006, 12:54 AM
5.0HO

groundpounder,

Maybe you can help me out. My girlfriend has a '96 and one of the door locks is messed up, and the ignition deal doesn't work real good either. I want the same key to operate everything, so I'll buy the 4 piece kit, I'm thinking the Zone can get them also.

Now, some questions. Does the new ignition tumbler from the Zone come with the black thing with the two ears that was spinning freely? I have the ignition key, and it works fine except for the two ear thing spinning. So, how do I replace the ignition tumbler?

Old 02-09-2006, 02:22 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

5.0HO, PM sent your way. PM me back and let me know! I think I can help
Old 02-09-2006, 02:42 AM
alexr
★★★★★

i had a problem where a small piece of metal got into the ignition and prevented the key from going in any farther than half way. if you take a jewlers screwdriver and wedge it loose and out, that worked.