General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

High water? Turn your Mustang AROUND!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 06:42 PM
gettna05!
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: High water? Turn your Mustang AROUND!

He's probably talking used motor and the other stuff from a salvage yard. can't see that kind of price for anything new. which might be OK considering the alternative.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:48 PM
Lasu

ORIGINAL: gettna05!

He's probably talking used motor and the other stuff from a salvage yard. can't see that kind of price for anything new. which might be OK considering the alternative.
This is their website: http://www.tbolt.net/

The engines are remanufactured but guaranteed for 1 year, 12,000 miles, or longer if you pay a bit more for an extended warranty. Definitely more reliable than salvaged motors, right?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:53 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gettna05!

Switching to a bigger motor entails lots of "incidentals" (meaning $$$). A bigger alternator, maybe diff clutch or trans, engine module, radiator/fan, wire harnesses etc.

Alot of the stuf from the v6 could be reused...dont get me wrong it would be nice to have better stuff but it will work fine!Why would you need a bigger alternater???Buy a complete 5.0 with all the accories on it and it will be fine.Any motor will fit in a v6 chassis any that was in a nother stang anyways.People tend to get carried away on here with stuff they read you need to have for certain things but most stuff can be reused.Oviously a couple things would have to be changed but buy a motor thats pulled form a junker with the tranny on it and everything else would work
Old 08-29-2005, 09:00 PM
dave86
1st Gear Member

I drove my mustang through high water once. Nothing happened; I got lucky. I'd never do it again though.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:15 PM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

Called Hydrolocking the engine.... pascals law says " A liquid Cannot be compressed" (or something like that)

You were on the compression stroke, and the air compressed but the water didnt, hence, you probably snapped the connecting rod(and close to the wrist pin if it went through the block, might I add)

Id look into a junkyard motor. Alot of times you can get one that runs right out of a totaled car. Also check ebay, as many people part out cars that they have totalled.

Good luck.

Jim
Old 08-30-2005, 12:57 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

You NEED to make a trip to Pick-N-Pull and find yourself an engine. I work at Pick-N-Pull and can mail you a coupon booklet so you can get in free and bring your mechanic for free. You have two locations there in Texas, One is Dallas and one in San Antonio. Check both out for your engine. You can find 5.0's out there all day long and you might be able to find another V6 to replace your old one. If you do then you need a 99-04 V6 because 88-98 are a little different then yours.

Now we dont have an inventory so you cant call ahead to check it out but you can walk the yard for two dollars (In this case free because I will send you two booklets) Now these booklets expire soon. The free admissions expire on the 4th of next month and the 1/2 price expires on the 16th I think of next month. Just send me a Private Message with your address and I will send them tomorrow.

We have a 99 Mustang GT that had an engine fire here and the bottom end is still good, we also have a 2004 Cobra (I already stripped) but you are kinda far from California.

Personally $1295 for a used V6 even if warenteed is steep. They should only be about $600-900 dollars. For $1295 you can buy a Complete GT motor from Ebay.

Now for your engine swaps.
On the 5.0L engine swap you need to get the 94-95 V6/GT/Cobra K-Frame otherwise it wont bolt in correctly.
For the 4.6L you can use any 4.6/5.4 on it with no modifications needed but motor mounts, a stronger transmission and possibly a driveshaft. Your rear end can stay stock for a while but could possibly fail if you like to gas it sometimes.

Here is a 305hp 4.6L for under $1500 and the reserve is met!

Just look and you can find the deals. You can find a T45 to go with that for about $500. And you can get an aluminum driveshaft for $120 bux.

Good luck, and I will get those coupon books out to you tomorrow if you write in time.

-Eric-
Old 08-30-2005, 01:07 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Here is something you can try. It worked for my neighbor. But turn it into your insurance if you have full coverage they might replace it. Like I said my neighbor did it on her Acura. I was shocked but it doesnt hurt to ask.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:33 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Oh, if your interested in selling the top half of your engine, I could use it for a V6 project that I am building on the side. Im in the process of building a 4.3L V6 stroker but only have the bottom end for it right now.

As time goes on and you read more of the threads I post you will find out I have a million projects, LOL.

-Eric-
Old 08-30-2005, 02:01 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Hes right if you have insurance they will pay for it....Just think up a good story before you call and stick to it and I think you'll be evry happy with the outcome
Old 08-30-2005, 05:17 PM
Lasu

NeoTokyo
*snip*
-Eric-
Thanks again, PM sent.

Quick Reply: High water? Turn your Mustang AROUND!