General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

High water? Turn your Mustang AROUND!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 05:40 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: High water? Turn your Mustang AROUND!

that insurance idea is a good one! I would try them.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Lasu

ORIGINAL: bramas02

Here is something you can try. It worked for my neighbor. But turn it into your insurance if you have full coverage they might replace it. Like I said my neighbor did it on her Acura. I was shocked but it doesnt hurt to ask.
ORIGINAL: 99saleen351r

Hes right if you have insurance they will pay for it....Just think up a good story before you call and stick to it and I think you'll be evry happy with the outcome
ORIGINAL: MikeHawke

that insurance idea is a good one! I would try them.
Unfortunately I only have liability insurance.

ORIGINAL: NeoTokyo

Oh, if your interested in selling the top half of your engine, I could use it for a V6 project that I am building on the side. Im in the process of building a 4.3L V6 stroker but only have the bottom end for it right now.

As time goes on and you read more of the threads I post you will find out I have a million projects, LOL.

-Eric-
I'm fairly sure i'll be able to provide you with that. I'll contact you after i've completed the engine swap so we can work out the details.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:21 PM
Lasu

I have two more questions:

What is the likelihood of transmission damage?

As well, what is the likelihood of the transmission starting to go out due to a new engine having been put in? How long do you think the transmission will last if it already has ~113,000 or so miles on it?

Old 08-30-2005, 09:10 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

I heard that as soon as water gets in the engine through the intake, your rods will break and even more damage can occur since water cant burn, and has nowhere to go.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:49 PM
Lasu

ORIGINAL: Lasu

As well, what is the likelihood of the transmission starting to go out due to a new engine having been put in? How long do you think the transmission will last if it already has ~113,000 or so miles on it?
^Anyone have answers to these questions?

I've done a lot of shopping around and I have two options at this point.

A)Buy a 3.8L engine with less than 35K for $945 (from ASAP Motors) and have it installed at American Engines, that'll charge $3-400 in labor. This route i'd have a 6 month warranty, as well as receive $31.75/hr returned to me by the company I buy the engine from. So i'm estimating this route i'll spend ~$1300

B)Or my other option is to have my engine remanufactured by American Engine for a total of $1695 including a valve job, new oil pump, new short block, etc. Comes with a 1-yr warranty on the engine.

Keep in mind that reliability is my most important concern. Having said that, any suggestions or ideas as to which route to take?
Old 09-01-2005, 02:22 PM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: XbcSharpShooter

I heard that as soon as water gets in the engine through the intake, your rods will break and even more damage can occur since water cant burn, and has nowhere to go.
Yeah, see the post I made on page one... it explains what happens... Its called hydrolocking the engine.

Jim
Old 09-01-2005, 02:33 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

^Anyone have answers to these questions?

I've done a lot of shopping around and I have two options at this point.

A)Buy a 3.8L engine with less than 35K for $945 (from ASAP Motors) and have it installed at American Engines, that'll charge $3-400 in labor. This route i'd have a 6 month warranty, as well as receive $31.75/hr returned to me by the company I buy the engine from. So i'm estimating this route i'll spend ~$1300

B)Or my other option is to have my engine remanufactured by American Engine for a total of $1695 including a valve job, new oil pump, new short block, etc. Comes with a 1-yr warranty on the engine.

Keep in mind that reliability is my most important concern. Having said that, any suggestions or ideas as to which route to take?
it's your call dude. You are rolling the dice either way. If you know for sure that the used engine is good, that is definitely the cheaper way to go but it's not going to be cheaper if the engine has problems. Sometimes they can sit outside for years before you get them and they rust up inside and all the fluids turn to sludge.