General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing Air bag junk, How much weight saved VS Time and effort

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 02:35 PM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Removing Air bag junk, How much weight saved VS Time and effort

Ok, Im surprised nobody has mentioned this.

On top of it being stupid to remove them in a street car, Might I add that unless you know what you are doing, you shouldnt F*ck around with this. The reason is airbags use a small explosive in them(kinda like a little firecracker) to "inflate" them. If you are taking one out, and it goes off, the metal shrouding behind it can seriosuly kill you. Airbags are not something to play around with. Theres even a special way to carry an airbag.

Jim
Old 08-30-2005, 02:36 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: 99saleen351r

ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: 4600cc

Don't argue with the idiot. Let him remove the air bags, get into an accident, and ****ing die like a ***. Mustang is not a car to crash in to begin with, and once you start removing safety restrains, you really have a death wish.

Weight saving. Remove the roof liner. Idiot!
You don't even know if this car is street driven anymore, for all you know it could be an all out race car. Honestly your comments are rude and completely uncalled for. The guy asked a legitimate question about the weight of the airbags, he did not ask if he SHOULD do it. This is the tech section please either answer the question at hand some form of intelligence or STFU.
You will save about 20-25 lbs total from both airbags. If you do it right you can save the cover on the passenger side and just make some tabs and use a little velcrow to cover the hole. I know because I have don this, but that makes me *** who is going to die so don't listen to me.
In that case it has to weigh a certain amount which in no class is the weight less than 3200 pounds I get a kick out of people stripping there car and going to the track to find out they have to put 5 tires and three tool boxes in the hatch to weigh in.....My dumb *** friend did that and we spent an hour trying to find enough weight to add in to weigh in.He ended up having two tires a tool box and like 5 girls pocket books to get it right.I think if we had like 10 pocketbooks we could have been right on the money (cause those things weight like 20 pounds each)but we coldnt find anymore girls that would give us there pocket books to leave in a stang while he raced
13: WEIGHT BREAKS/ENGINE COMBINATIONS
FACTORY STOCK
Base Weights:
ENGINE POWER ADDER MAX CI BASE WEIGHT
5.0L HO None 311 3150
4.6 2V None 289 2850
4.6 3V None 289 3200
4.6 4V None 289 3400
Deduct 250 lbs for Ford OEM Stock 5.0 HO heads. See section 1.17

Note: All weights are with driver at conclusion of run at scale area.

In this case a car might weigh as little as 2850lbs and yes you might have to put weight back into the car, but the advantage is that you can choose where to put the weight i.e. behind the rear wheels to help with traction. This is getting to be silly, who cares if the guy wants to gut his car, it's his to do with as pleases, and arguing that it is illegal is silly, it's also illegal to remove or otherwise alter your catalytic converter, and I bet there are plenty of people on here who are guilty of that, myself included.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:39 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: kartracer55

Ok, Im surprised nobody has mentioned this.

On top of it being stupid to remove them in a street car, Might I add that unless you know what you are doing, you shouldnt F*ck around with this. The reason is airbags use a small explosive in them(kinda like a little firecracker) to "inflate" them. If you are taking one out, and it goes off, the metal shrouding behind it can seriosuly kill you. Airbags are not something to play around with. Theres even a special way to carry an airbag.

Jim
This is true, but detailed directions on how to remove them are readly avalible.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:05 PM
HRnB
Administrator

4600cc, I need you to post replys in an appropriate manner please. We all have our opinions, but this is a friendly board and I want to keep it that way, so please choose your words more wisely while you express your opinion, it will keep our little slice of Nirvana a nice place.
Thanks You.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:12 PM
TMC
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99saleen351r

ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: 4600cc

Don't argue with the idiot. Let him remove the air bags, get into an accident, and ****ing die like a ***. Mustang is not a car to crash in to begin with, and once you start removing safety restrains, you really have a death wish.

Weight saving. Remove the roof liner. Idiot!
You don't even know if this car is street driven anymore, for all you know it could be an all out race car. Honestly your comments are rude and completely uncalled for. The guy asked a legitimate question about the weight of the airbags, he did not ask if he SHOULD do it. This is the tech section please either answer the question at hand some form of intelligence or STFU.
You will save about 20-25 lbs total from both airbags. If you do it right you can save the cover on the passenger side and just make some tabs and use a little velcrow to cover the hole. I know because I have don this, but that makes me *** who is going to die so don't listen to me.
In that case it has to weigh a certain amount which in no class is the weight less than 3200 pounds I get a kick out of people stripping there car and going to the track to find out they have to put 5 tires and three tool boxes in the hatch to weigh in.....My dumb *** friend did that and we spent an hour trying to find enough weight to add in to weigh in.He ended up having two tires a tool box and like 5 girls pocket books to get it right.I think if we had like 10 pocketbooks we could have been right on the money (cause those things weight like 20 pounds each)but we coldnt find anymore girls that would give us there pocket books to leave in a stang while he raced

Normally I’d stay out of these little nonsense battles but you my friend are pissin’ me off. You have that “I’m holier than†attitude that makes people dislike you, your opinion and your attendance on any non-ricer forum. Get off you’re high horse and take a seat in the back row until you have something useful to post…’K

FWIW I’ve been struggling to get my car down to the legal minimum in the class that I race in. The last event I went to the car was still 75lbs over weight at 3225 and that is with the majority of non-essential things removed from the car such as;
· Airbags
· Heater box and controls
· Radio
· Rear seat
· Everything from the trunk
· A/C
· All smog equipment
· Front bumper
· Everything from behind the front fenders
· Removed all insulation
· Rear seat belts are gone
· Windshield wipers and motor

And some lightweight stuff too;
· Race seats
· Small battery
· Bogart wheels with skinnies up front

To loose 20lbs is a BIG deal to me…and yes, I’m even dieting to try to get the race weight down!

For whatever reason you want to remove the airbags, the sensors are around 1lb each as is the blue control module. The Passengers bad is 12lbs on my scale and I have no idea what the drivers bag is but I’d think that it is also 10-12lbs.

I have actually used the stock steering column with a quick release steering hub and aftermarket steering wheel. Decent setup that retains the tilt wheel…pretty cool for a racecarJ Though you could get an aftermarket column I find the stocker to be adequate as long as you don’t cut any of the stock steel structure under the dash. I believe that it was a Grant steering wheel and a Mark Williams quick release hub…

Oh yeah...the *** comment guy...The most blatantly gay thing on this post is the ignorance some people show to others and what they are trying to accomplish without even knowing what the intended purpose is.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:19 PM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

Well, I have to say I about fell off the couch when you guys started talking about getting into the wreck, grim reaper, and becoming a ***, etc. Very funny. Anyway, yes it is illegal. No, the police wont notice if you have covers over them, unless you are in an accident at which time it may come into play. Also, if people dont want to use them, let them.......its just a self cleansing method of the human race. Goes back to the saying....win the battle, lose the war. So you get away with it, then die in a wreck. Who won? If its only a track car, then who cares, but for a driver, I would find another area to save weight.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:56 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

this thread is funny. please continue to make points in very opinionated fashion. the more opinionated the better, I say.
I wouldn't remove an airbag in my car, but I could care less if someone else did.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:40 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

He could still be safe with out airbags, just have a sharpened spear put in the steering wheel instead that should motivate him do drive very carefully, and it is illegal but the cops woulnt be checking for the airbags.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:29 AM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ByPopularDemand

He could still be safe with out airbags, just have a sharpened spear put in the steering wheel instead that should motivate him do drive very carefully, and it is illegal but the cops woulnt be checking for the airbags.

Yeah but if he was in an accident and he was hurt... and his insurance company found out he had no airbags... guess who wouldnt be getting any $$$?

Jim
Old 08-31-2005, 02:57 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

WoW! Lots of posts since I wrote last night, though I never figured that I would die, be **** raped by the grim reaper and become a ***, wow.

The reason why I want to know (Since quite a few people have corofull imaginations) is because when I race at the track, that extra 25-30lbs can mean a win. All the components except for the blue controll box are easy to get to and remove with either a 10mm socket or a screwdriver. No, I would not drive like this on the street even though I dont care for airbags too much.

By the way I would also like to mention that these ARE 5mph sensors which means if you get a nice bump from another driver on the track then you will have an airbag go off in your face. Now I dont know about you but when Im exiting out of a turn and the Cobra next to me bumps my rear bumper I dont really want an Airbag going off in my face.

My 95' V6 weights in at 3065lbs stock. With the Mach1 engine, trans in it then it should be closer to 3400lbs. With the QA1 front suspension kit, manual rack and real seat delete I am only saving another 150lbs +/- which brings me to 3250lbs. Now with a roll cage, battle boxes, tubular controlls and all the other good safety and strength items my weight is going to go right back up. Every little bit everywhere helps.

I have so many intentions for this car that many things need to be removable or quick release.

I cant explain everything but you guys should get the jist of it.
I am pretty tired from work and I think I am going to go to bed.
For everyone that supported me, Thanks! And its good to see you around still HotRods

As for 4600cc, well you were just complimenting my build the other day and it is just the internet so have a good night, drink some milk and sleep well.

-Eric-