General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

prombles due to cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 03:45 AM
nurstang

Default prombles due to cold air intake?

I just bought a 02 gt 5sp about 6 months ago. It already had a cold air intake on it and upgraded exhaust. I took it in the shop because it pings on reg unleaded, so I have to put in super. The shop said it is running lean due to the cold air intake and suggested putting it back to stock. A freind suggested getting a stronger fule pump? In addition to the pingging, once in a while, it takes a few extra cranks to get it started after it is warmed up and letting it sit for a few minutes, like getting gas. But if I hold the pedal down just a little, it starts right up. The shop said thats due to the cold air intake too. Should I remove the cold air intake? If I don't remove it, would I risk causing any damage in the future to the engine? I love the way my stang sounds and would removing the cold air intake affect the sound of the exhaust?
Thanks for you help

[sm=feedback.gif]
Old 09-05-2005, 07:38 AM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: prombles due to cold air intake?

Yea, you running lean. Correct that using a chip.

Is it really a cold air intake, or you goulping hot air from underneath your hood? If it's a nice looking hot air intake, then I'd dump it.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:38 AM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

Oh yea, running lean not only kills power, but you will kill your engine soon too.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:51 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nurstang

I just bought a 02 gt 5sp about 6 months ago. It already had a cold air intake on it and upgraded exhaust. I took it in the shop because it pings on reg unleaded, so I have to put in super. The shop said it is running lean due to the cold air intake and suggested putting it back to stock. A freind suggested getting a stronger fule pump? In addition to the pingging, once in a while, it takes a few extra cranks to get it started after it is warmed up and letting it sit for a few minutes, like getting gas. But if I hold the pedal down just a little, it starts right up. The shop said thats due to the cold air intake too. Should I remove the cold air intake? If I don't remove it, would I risk causing any damage in the future to the engine? I love the way my stang sounds and would removing the cold air intake affect the sound of the exhaust?
Thanks for you help

[sm=feedback.gif]
I dont see how you could be running THAT lean from just a CAI and exhaust. Our cars come from the factory so pig rich it shouldnt make that much of a difference. The only immediate thing you can do is disconnect the battery for bit to reset the computer then see how things go. Ive never heard of only a CAI and exhaust causing those problems. With what your saying it almost sounds like the car was tuned with a hand held tuner but its hard to say considering its a used car and (besides what you stated) we have no idea what was done to it before you got it.

I think it would be a good idea to get it on a Dyno to see what all your dealing with.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:49 AM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

As little crap as changing or gutting your stock air box can lead to lean condition. This is due to increased velosity throught the MAF sensor, combine that with gulping hot air and you have a very serious problem.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:08 AM
starcam
1st Gear Member

Have you checked your plugs to see if they're gapped okay? or othere problems with them......
Old 09-05-2005, 01:43 PM
nurstang

The cold air intake goes into the fender wall and is not sucking in hot air. The car is currently at the dealer getting serviced. They said that they did a road test and checked it out and it is running lean due to the CAI. Could California Emissions have anything to due with it? Anyone know of a good shop I can take it to in the LA/ San Bernardino area.

Thank you everyone for your help

[sm=thanx.gif]
Old 09-05-2005, 03:34 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

Getting a chip would have been perhaps the most cheapest solution for you. That service will run you hundreds. Eff. []
Old 12-21-2006, 10:51 PM
Matty01

The same thing has happend to my 03 Mustang Gt.I put a CAI on, now it lags majorly.It used to kick down hard and pull secong gear chirps with my stock airbox on.Th eonly mod I have is Dynomax mufflers. I think either taking it off, getting a chip, or reseting the computer may be the only way to fix this. Some combos work and some don't, its as simple as that. You would think that it would work, it works for alot of people, but not every car is the same.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Lizardbreath
2nd Gear Member

If it has a bend in it lose it. The bend causes the MAF to get poor readings and could result in you being lean. Or it could just be that you need to clean or replace your MAF because it is clogged.