General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Hi, new mustang owner winter tire questions.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:32 AM
chrisd6875

Default Hi, new mustang owner winter tire questions.

Hi, My daughter just bought a 2000 mustang v6 automatic. The car needs tires, and I wanted to get them installed asap. What kind of tire should I get so she is ready for winter driving? Should I replace all 4? The dealership we purchased the car from suggested blizzaks from bridgestone.
Thanks,
Chris.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:29 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

What kind of winter driving? Heavy snow, light snow, ice, rain?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:21 PM
chrisd6875

Well we're in Pennsylvania, so we could get major snow. I want the car to be as safe as possible. The tires should be good in rain too. I'm not sure if the blizzaks will be a good dry weather tire.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:40 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Most of the extreme winter tires like Blizzaks aren't designed for dry roads. They'll get beat up pretty quickly and can sometimes do weird things. Always put winter tires on in sets of 4 though.

Best thing to do is get a really good set of all season tires, and then buy a set of basic steel rims and put something like Blizzaks on them, then swap to the snow tires when it's snowy/icey out.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:33 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

As far as snow tires, blizzaks are the top of the line. Followed closely (in my opinion) by michelin x-ice and such.

I would suggest getting all 4 snow tires. You will have to replace the rest at some point, and uneven wear/tread patterns will cause the car to have some really erratic handling under serious conditions.

Some weight in the trunk will also help the rear tires get traction. Do you know what safety features the car has? ABS, traction control? You should also throw some jumpers in the trunk for peace of mind, batteries seem to LOVE dying in the middle of winter on the one night you are most tired haha.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:59 PM
homershoots

If you want to be as safe as possible I would suggest she drive something else mustangs are a handful in the snow. Blizzacks are definately the best snow tire out there so four of those will be your best bet for the mustang. Also get the alignment done as well. A car that's out of alignment can do strange things in the snow.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:03 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
...Best thing to do is get a really good set of all season tires, and then buy a set of basic steel rims and put something like Blizzaks on them, then swap to the snow tires when it's snowy/icey out.
Yep +1 to putting a set of full blown snow tires onto their own stamped steel rim! That'll save your mags a LOT of wear & tear & salt, as well as let you swap your tires yourself in the driveway, as well as allowing you to pick your winter rim size!

Personally I'm running a set of 16" Champiro snow tires on stamped steel rims, and keep my 17" summers on the factory Bullit rims. The Champiro's are GREAT and a lot cheaper than Blizzaks. And I'm driving a V8-GT in Canadian snow with that combo!!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:09 PM
chrisd6875

What about installing the snow tires on another set of factory rims and just protecting them with some vaseline or something. I also heard that General Altimax tires are good.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:15 PM
chrisd6875

Originally Posted by chrisd6875
What about installing the snow tires on another set of factory rims and just protecting them with some vaseline or something. I also heard that General Altimax tires are good.
The tires on the car are 15 inch. I guess I'm trying to keep the factory look, so I was going to find a set that matches, and mount snows on them. They are the 6 spoke wheels and they match the silver metallic paint on the car.
Thanks for the advice Guys.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:17 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Yeah you could always go that route, but it might be a bit more/less costly depending on where or how you get the rims.

If factory is what you want, then yeah just makes sure you get tires to match the rims. I shopped around and also had general altimax on my possibilities list. Not a bad tire, but the other choices in that price range were better (i.e. firestone winterforce).

In the end I decided snow tires weren't something I wanted to find the lowest price on, so I went with the blizzaks. Pricey, but the car handles like it's on rails in snow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hi, new mustang owner winter tire questions.