General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Headlights cut out on highway

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:22 AM
BoomTown96
2nd Gear Member

Default Headlights cut out on highway

Well I was driving home from work last night and all of the sudden my lights cut out going about 50mph on a barely lit highway. I installed an HID kit from Retro-Solutions(55w dual-beam w/ digital ballasts) a couple of months ago and luckily they have a lifetime warranty but im still pissed. Im pretty sure its not the headlight switch since my side markers and tails com on. I suspect a bad ballast
Im about to go take a look at it in a few minutes but this is my only car so I need to fix it ASAP. Any tips on diagnosing would be appreciated.

THIS is what i have

Sorry theres nothing juicy about me crashing ito a tree.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:25 PM
BoomTown96
2nd Gear Member

Well all I know for sure is that the fuse is melted. My guess is that a ballast went out, the fuse was overloaded and the other ballast went out. Im tired of only having one car im going to buy this 93 bronco tomorrow. I was going to save up to buy something nicer but it about time I have a backup.
As far as the HIDs, we will see how quick Retro Solutions is in replacing my stuff.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:56 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BoomTown96
Well all I know for sure is that the fuse is melted.
Seriously? Its melted? Something seriously wrong happened. Fuses are meant to blow way before they melt. Are you sure you had the correct amp fuse? Is the base where the fuse goes in melted too? Is it corroded? If so then that would explain the excess heat that caused the fuse to melt.

Good luck...
Old 10-01-2011, 04:04 AM
BoomTown96
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by petrock
Seriously? Its melted? Something seriously wrong happened. Fuses are meant to blow way before they melt. Are you sure you had the correct amp fuse? Is the base where the fuse goes in melted too? Is it corroded? If so then that would explain the excess heat that caused the fuse to melt.

Good luck...
The fuse came with the HID kit and was already attached and wired in to the harness. And I ruled out heat from an outside source. I can't answer your questions about the base and corrosion at the moment since im at work. I hooked up some halogens to the stock harness for the time being until I can have this stuff replaced. I still have the HID harness zip-tied and screwed into my car but when I take it out I will post some pictures of the fuse.