General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Install: Mustang II seats in SN95

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Frantz
2nd Gear Member

Default Install: Mustang II seats in SN95

I was parts hunting in the local yard and found a 78 Mustang II that was in a bad front end collision. It was picked over pretty good, but I managed to get a set of mirrors for a future project and the front seats. The seats were dirty but they looked pretty good. Once I cleaned them up I saw some of the vinyl was starting to rip at the seams, but the 94 I put them in is a daily driver, not a show car. So why would someone want to put older, less comfortable, non-reclining, vinyl seats into a 94 mustang?

1. Retro look, they may be from 78, but the style could just as easily be 60s.
2. The seats don't recline, however, they do fold flat forward, allowing very easy access to rear seats (you use them right?) for cargo or humans (the poor souls).
3. You could move the seats forward if your short or want to give the folks in the back some leg room. These seats are shorter base wise and so there will be more leg room somewhere!

Here are the seats as found and after nothing more than soap and water. I Think they’ll really clean up nice once I get some vinyl cleaner and patch the few holes.

INSTALL: (Easy job, 2 hours tops)
SAFETY PRECAUTION!!! On the SN95 the seats are spring loaded. I didn’t grab a picture of this spring, but if it is under tension and you pull the slide release, you could get pretty hurt. I chose not to add this to the Mustang II seats, but you would just have to drill a hole in the rear of the seat frame. If you try this project you’ll see.

As you see the SN95 seats are longer than the Mustang II seats. Removing the seats and rails should be easy. Just un-bolt em. No tricks. If you have power seats make sure you unplug the wires before you rip the seats out!

I choose to move the seats back. This is closer to stock leg room, giving both driver and rear passengers slightly more leg room. If you drill the front rather than rear you will exaggerate this moving the seat forward for you shorter folks. The center of the holes for the Mustang II seats is 13” and I used a 5/16 drill which was perfect if you “clean” the hole a little. The width of the the bolt hole to slides is the same on both cars.

Drivers seat was a little trickier, it is power. Next yard trip I’ll look for non-power seat rails to save some weight (perhaps a few less Cokes/Yuenglings a week would save weight too). For now the power switch is just sitting under the seat. Either modifying the Mustang II seat or adding a piece of steel to mount the switch to would be easy in the future. I’m the only driver so I really don’t mess with this much.

Here you can see one seat installed (the car is messy).

And here is both seats installed! I live in Atlanta so with the vinyl seats the AC will def be a winter project. I think the seats looks great and will have to re-cover the rear seats in vinyl, but that’s not a top priority. Easy easy mod and adds a unique and retro look to your car.

Last edited by Frantz; 11-19-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:20 AM
All4One
3rd Gear Member

Look at all that red! good write up though. I was going to post to your other thread, but it looks like you found the answer.