General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

after market mufflers vs. warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 01:54 AM
deputy743

Default after market mufflers vs. warranty?

I have a new 2012 Mustang V6. I want to get after market axle back mufflers put on it but i'm worried about how it will effect my warranty. I know that if something goes wrong with the mufflers ford wont do anything about it but will it void the entire intake system? I spoke to a guy at my dealership and he said that if they even suspect that the mufflers had a slight impact on the proplem they wont fix it. That doesn't sound right to me so any insight would be very welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:50 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is your friend... It basically boils down to you can effectively do what you want, but if something goes wrong and the aftermarket part is the cause of the problem then that repair is not covered. For example, if you install a new muffler and the transmission blows, the muffler didn't cause the tranny problem so the fix for the tranny should be covered. Or if you install high compression pistons and your heads blow off & your rear diff eats itself, then the pistons were most likely the cause for the heads to blow off, but would not have effected your rear diff. So the rear diff repair should be covered, but the head repair would not be. Make sense?

With that said, that doesn't mean your dealer won't try to screw you. But if you know the law, you are less likely to be taken advantage of.

I doubt that installing a new muffler will cause any problems with your motor. However, check your local laws. Its illegal in some states to modify your exhaust, including installing non-OEM style mufflers.